Bonus Chapter #1; Life and Death

POV: Glacius

(This chapter explains the crueler side of the life of Panthera Regina. It's not too violent but some may think otherwise.)

A young gray spotted Leopard Seal pup was swimming underwater in the sea by the Aquillo Mountains, which is kept nice and cold all year long. This was thanks to the Sirens, Seahorses, and other Great Beasts that protect the ocean's wildlife. They even have a separate ruler that rules the sea because of the limits of Queen Roseis. However, both rulers did get along well and often made sure that the animals they could reach on land and sea were comfortable and well cared for.

*Note: Glacius doesn't have a white coat as she shed it about age four. The Island of Panthera Regina always has mini Rulers to ensure that the King or Queen of the island has a better understanding of the situation. (The of how the U.S. government works. Many leaders help represent their area to the Ruler to ensure that everyone is cared for and protected).*

Glacius was glad to be a seal because she had the best of both worlds. She had two wonderful rulers that cared about the well-being of everything and everyone. However, it does have its drawbacks. For one thing, having two rulers can get complicated when the two can't agree and the other thing, Glacius being a seal meant she was bound by both laws: Laws of the Island and the Sea.

The drawbacks of being a Leopard Seal were far and few. She was a fierce huntress, the strongest of all the Seals. However, they have two main predators: Orcas in the water and Polar Bears on the land.

Glacius remained on the ice, waiting for her mother, Stiria, to bring some fish up. However, she never came. What became only a few hours of hunting had become two days. There was no sign of her mother, and she was starting to get worried.

"MOM!!!!!" Glacius screamed out into the sea.

*Growl*

Her stomach growls, officially declaring war on her. Glacius knew how to hunt but wasn't good at it. She was only five years old, after all. Even if the Panthera Regina slows time down. Most offspring knew how to hunt around five, six, or seven. It's just that the extra years are used for lessons and just growing up. However, parents care for their offspring until they earn their right to have a Ceremony day, which is around 20 years old.

*I hope she is okay.* Glacius thought as something behind her spooked her. She turned her head and saw a flash of white and screamed. She was about to break for the water. However, something stepped on her tail. *Please, don't let me die without knowing.* She thought and whined.

"Don't worry, young seal. I am not hungry, and I heard your call. At first, I thought it was another bear cub, but I guess I was mistaken." Glacius heard a Polar Bear voice say in a kind voice that made her think of her mother.

She opened her eyes and realized it was a female. *Maybe she won't kill me.* Glacius thought.

It was almost universal knowledge that female adults should be trusted first as they could offer protection. However, this wasn't always the case. Glacius knew that this Polar Bear could be just playing the 'I heard you call' trick and kill her the moment that Glacius let her guard down.

She looked back at the water and whimpered. The Leopard seal started to tear up, but she felt the Polar Bear lift her paw from her tail. Then felt her claws on her back but instead of grabbing her closer. The Polar Bear pushed her into the water.

*Splash*

The Leopard Seal fell into the water in shock. *She's helping me?* Galcius thought as she felt the coldness of the water.

The Leopard Seal knew the laws that Queen Roseis had. The law was first established 24 years ago and was taught in every Lessons. It was meant to protect orphans, and she gave protection to anybody if they adopt them. However, this only lasted until the young reached Ceremony Day. So, some animals would adopt any offspring without their parents. So they could have immunity from being hunted. However, there was a darker side to this. Sometimes animals: herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores, will kill the parents and adopt the offspring. They will keep doing this until they get caught, got killed for several reasons, or die peacefully.

"I know you're afraid, and you have every right to be." The Polar Bear said loudly, as Glacius resurfaced from the icy water.

Most land creatures often yell into the water as they don't think one can hear underwater. However, if an aquatic creature was close to the surface, it was no problem. So, there was no need for yelling.

When Glacius looked up at the Polar Bear, she saw fear in her eyes and was speaking in a panicked manner. "I lost my cubs to a male that was not their father. Please, go. He is on the hunt for any young ones' blood." She explained in a mother-like tone that was concerned for all offspring and not just her own.

Fear was the only thing that the Leopard Seal pup thought. She heard the horror stories about males going on a killing spree for any offspring that they did not father themselves. Sometimes the fathers will even kill their offspring, either on purpose or by accident. However, her tribe didn't have this problem as bad as other land creatures might. Okay, some pups will get abandoned if someone suddenly rushed the beach, but that was rare on the island.

However, Glacius didn't understand why the Polar Bear listened to her call in the first place. The male shouldn't have any reason to come here if the female wasn't. She also didn't understand why the female let her escape. It was a perfect opportunity for fresh meat.

"Please, young one. Go, I already lost my two sons and daughter because of him. I won't let another mother go through that pain." The Polar bear said again.

*GROWL* *ROAR* *GROWL*

The Leopard Seal pup couldn't see the male Polar Bear. However, she could hear his heavy footsteps, making his way closer to them. Glacius wanted to go to her mother, but she wanted to see if the Polar Bear female would make it. After all, she knew very well that everyone has to eat. There was no law against hunting and eating. There was one against sport hunting, but this wasn't the case as this was rare and is usually punished by death.

In her lessons, Glacius' teacher explained that King Arrow made no expectation for this. He was rumored to kill his brother for overhunting and causing one of the tribes to be endangered. Another time was when Queen Roseis had done something similar to when the Alba Men tried to wipe out Darwin's Foxes.

"I THOUGHT I KILLED ALL YOUR CUBS!!!!" She heard the male roar.

"GO NOW!!!!" The Polar Bear female snarled and heard her charging toward the male.

Glacius took a chance and swam straight away from the Polar Bears. However, as she was swimming, she bumped into something big. Bubbles swirled around her and felt a tight grip on her. The pup struggled but gave up and felt the tug up to the surface.

"Glacius, my darling. What got you so worked up?" Stiria asked with a sweet face.

"MOM," Glacius cried with tears in her eyes.

There was roaring in the distance. "The tribe is moving further out until the breeding season is over. That is why I left you for so long." Her mother explained.

"Breeding season?" Glacius asked in a confused tone.

"Of the Polar Bear. However, the older cubs can get hurt." Stiria replied.

They swam to the new location, further out to sea. They were going to wait out the season. However, Glacius would not forget about what the Polar Bear female did for her. She listened to her call because she wanted to warn other young people and their mothers. It would take her a year of searching before she found the Polar Bear that saved her life.

Author's note:

This might be the crueler of the chapters, but I just wanted to write about nature works. Polar Bears' main food source is Leopard Seals. I did look up the facts, and both Polar Bears and Grizzly bear males will kill cubs that are not their own, and sometimes the father will hunt the cubs, not knowing that they father them.