Chapter 28: Realization

Art by Icyorb

POV: Swamp

The White Tiger, Swamp Monster, and the black bear griffinling ended up taking the path to the right. It had an odd scent developed as they got deeper. The path was also bigger than Swamp thought as it was straight but big enough to fit Great Beast larger than him. Currere sat nicely on his back, not making a move or sound.

Mendax was oddly quiet for one being so vocal earlier. Everything was going to Kadupul's and his plan. He felt a little bad for keeping Mendax in the dark, but something was up with the blue eye feline.

"Something on your mind, Mendax?" Swamp spoke as they walked through the never-ending walls. The path was like an endless, repeating maze with the occasional torches being present.

*Strange, only Native People generally used fire to see.* Swamp studied as they walked. *The only other creatures that used fire in this way are our ancestral Angels of the Island.* There was a theory that the Angels of Heaven and Angels of Panthera Regina are so different now that they could be classified as separated species. This is all from how their shifting abilities as Angels from the island are limited while the Angels from Heaven appeared limitless.

"Sigh." Mendax sighed, causing Swamp to turn his attention to him. "Why would Rex be this idiotic? I mean, splitting up is stupid." Mendax growled.

Swamp didn't see the problem here. Splitting up is a good idea. However, he had to admit that the thought of the Prince being alone did leave him nervous. This whole plan was to try to draw out the guards if there were any.

*Why is this cave so barren?* The tan and teal Swamp Monster wondered.

"I am just wondering how you found the lair in the first place," Swamp mumbled to himself. It only added to his suspicion about the feline and how uneasy Swamp felt whenever they were alone together.

"I heard it from a bird." Mendax somehow heard him, which was or should be impossible even for a feline.

Swamp stopped suddenly, causing the tiger to run into him. "How is a no rank able to know so much?" He said as he slowly turn around to face Mendax.

Mendax's face was smug as if this was just a game. This didn't sit well with Swamp at all. He was glad that neither fox nor Bengal tiger was here.

Swamp has been waiting for the right moment to confront Mendax. He can understand why Rex can understand birds as he is a Prince and a Griffin. Currere can even understand some Acer Swamp bird calls because of her species.

For other Creatures, was difficult to learn the bird calls as they are more complex. However, not as complex as the aquatic languages but still. Sphinxs don't generally care about other species, so they have no reason to learn other tongues.

"I learned from a Snowy owl," Mendax answered quickly with a nervous tone.

"Yeah, right. No ranks don't generally make friends outside their tribe." Swamp pointed out.

Why should I explain myself to you?" Mendax growled. Swamp saw the cat's eyes narrow as another deep growl left his throat. "After all, you are being very, very rude."

"Because if you truly care about the Prince and the kit, then you will tell me." Swamp continued bringing up the issue. "Unless...."

*Crash*

Suddenly, a noise was heard coming from a tunnel beside them, which was strange as there was no tunnel there before. It was like the cave systems were ever-changing.

Mendax grinned. "I will go check it out." With that, he left heading into the tunnel that appeared out of nowhere.

"But Prince Rex said for us...." The Swamp Monster started but felt like he would get a better result from talking to a wall.