5

Peter

A couple of weeks ago I followed Michelle, Ned and Betty into the airport as they left for M.I.T. They looked so happy. MJ's dad hugged her close and she smiled reassuring him that she would be okay.

"New life Ned. Can you believe we're leaving?" MJ whispered excitedly as he bounced up and down excitedly.

"Don't you feel like we're leaving something behind?" Ned asked her in a hushed whisper and her eyes flickered with awareness, it was so brief I barely caught it. But it was there.

"What do you mean?" She asked searching his eyes for answers. "I don't know MJ. I mean, we've lived here our entire lives. I'm not good at expressing my emotions. I'm not good with my words. But you know? The end of an era I guess" He chuckles as she laughs awkwardly.

"Right. I'm not good with mine either. But totally dude. End of era" She admits looking around. Her eyes land on me and I panicked for half a second before I noticed her offer me a small smile. She waved at me and I couldn't help but wave back. I haven't help this happy in a while and all it took as a small wave from her.

God I love her.

"Who are you waving at?" Ned interrupted our moment as she looks away from me. "No one. My hand fell asleep" She lied looking up at me before turning her back to me.

I looked at them from a distance as they said their final goodbye before disappearing into the crowd.

***

It's been a couple of weeks since my best friend and girlfriend left New York. Dinner with Mrs. Kepner has become routine. Her son doesn't like me much. Well he doesn't like me at all. He has tried to get me evicted at least five times already but his mom doesn't let him. She's already threaten to disown him if he keeps messing with me which only makes him hate me even more.

"What are you? Her escort?!" He spat angrily at me once and I nearly tripped over my own two feet as I was walking up the stairs towards my apartment.

"What? No! Are you kidding me? I'm doing what you're suppose to be doing. Watching over her, checking in on her, keeping her company. She's all alone. This is your job. You're her son and you won't even call her to say hi. What the hell does that say about you?" I snapped angrily at him shutting him up into silence. He glared at me obviously pissed that I told him the truth to his face.

"You little piece of shit. Pack your trash and get the fuck out of my apartment complex" He yells shoving me back into the stair railing.

"Enough James!" I could hear Mrs. Kepner yelling as she walks towards us.

"I want him out. Now" James demanded angrily at her. "Don't yell at her" I intervene standing between them protectively.

"Stay the fuck of this" He seethed glaring at me as I stood up taller. "I'm your son not him. So treat me with the respect I deserve" He directs his glare towards his mother now.

She chuckles dryly "The respect that you deserve? How about you put some respect on my name you ungrateful piece of shit!" She curses for the very first time since I've met her.

Wow.

"Peter has cared more for me these past 3 months than you have in 12 years. So, if anyone is leaving it'll be you. And I don't want to see you around here anymore. And since you barely even bother to call, I don't think staying away will be a problem for you at all" She tells him.

"Mother" He gasps utterly offended by her demand. "You can't just kick me out of your life" He tells her as she scoffs at him. "I never did that James. You did that all on your own. I always held the door open for you and you always walk right pass it. And then, when you did show up at my door step all you ever did was to shut the door on face. But not before you took everything from me." She deprecates him making him love at his shoes in shame.

"You're selfish James and I don't blame you for that. I blame myself. I always gave you everything you ever wanted without ever considering that one day you wouldn't want me. I'm not responsible for the choices you've ultimately made. You have free will and you have to be held accountable for that. But as your mother I had a responsibility to make you a respectable and honorable man. A man that I would look in the eyes and be so proud to call my son."

"I guess we all have to live with certain disappointments in life. I'm not disappointed in you my boy, I am disappointment in myself. Now, go, I'm not gonna stop supporting you, you'll get your checks every 15th of the month like you always have. But I don't wanna see you anymore. But it's not like I see anyways." She finished as she reached for my arm.

"Please help me child. I'm quite exhausted" She tells me leaning against me. "Oh yeah-yeah" I tell her picking her up.

"Mom" James calls out after her. "Come back in a couple of days. Or don't. Since you never do" I tell him walking upstairs with her.

I wanted to move to Boston, but I can't do that now. I can't leave Mrs. Kepner. Isn't like MJ or Ned will miss me either way.

***

Hello Spideys! 🕸🕷

Happy New Year's Eve or New Year's Day (depending your time zone). Hope this 2022 is greets with good health and happiness.

I hope you like today's chapter.

With love,

breebaqbooks