I See Her Everywhere

(Posted to Tumblr on 28/5/21)

Words: 1,424

Warnings: Ha. Angst. Grief, drinking (close to alcoholism tbh), tears, y'know all that good stuff lol

Request: No, this is all me... I'm sorry.

Summary: You can't get her out of your mind.

A/N: This is Part Two of 'The Grave'

---

Music blasted through the air and into her bones as she walked through the dark, bustling club. Red strobe lights illuminating the way, if only slightly.

She was on a hunt.

A "missing persons" hunt.

And she had just spotted them now.

In the far off corner alone in a booth, back pressed into the corner, with a leg up on the glass filled table, the other stretched across the faux-leather seats. Eyes hooded and watching the entertainment, bringing a glass of brown liquid to their lips, before placing their elbow on the backrest, thumb and middle finger the only thing holding the drink up from splashing on the seats.

When she got close enough, their eyes were closed, and head lolling backwards.

"So this is how you've chosen to spend your time."

Snapping your eyes open, you spotted your blonde Russian sister-in-law.

"Yelena."

"God, you're drunk," she stated with a slight scowl. Pushing your leg away so that she could sit down beside you.

"Fucking, no shit. I think I have the right."

She hummed. "So, you just decided to spend your time out in a strip club with your grief."

"Best friends wife works here. I get the drinks half off."

"That's not the only thing that's half off," Yelena commented dryly, watching the dancing woman with you.

"You got a problem with strippers?"

"No," she stated, before turning to face you, "I have a problem with you practically drinking yourself to death."

"It would take a lot of booze to do that."

Yelena shook her head at that but still said nothing in reply, allowing the silence to take over the both of you. Filled only by the music beating through the club.

Until you broke that silence.

"I see her everywhere, y'know?"

"What?" Yelena asks, turning to look at you once more.

"Natasha. I see her everywhere. Everywhere I go. She's there."

You raised your glass held hand, uncaringly pointing a gesture at the woman dancing on stage, swaying her backside against the pole.

"She's the dancer up there." The blonde beside you followed your words with her eyes, looking at everything you described. "She's the girl flirting with the bartender." She looked back at you, eyes soft and filled with the kind of pity that one would only have for a family member. "When I walk down the street, she's there. On the opposite side. Brushing past me. Hailing for a taxi. I see her hair." You move your hands, mimicking the length of Natashas hair. "Then I blink, and it's gone... she's gone."

You take another sip of your drink.

"I think I'm going crazy."

"I think you need to cut down on the drink."