Meeting In Autumn

(Posted to Tumblr on 22/11/21)

Modern AU

Natasha Romanoff x Reader

Words: 1,626

Warnings: None. It's so fucking fluffy.

Request: Nope.

Summary: You did not expect your day to go like this when you took your dog for a walk.

---

Yellow.

Red.

Brown.

And gold.

Various shades of those colours floated around on the frosty autumn day before landing in a crunchy heap on the floor.

And those were the lucky ones.

They had narrowly missed the beast snapping its drool-covered jowls at them. Hoping to ensnare them before their remains were inevitably flung to the ground beside their brethren.

An onlooker, watching on, in sick amusement.

That onlooker being you.

Breathy laughs poured from deep in your chest, eyes secure upon your playing dog, trying to catch the falling leaves. Jumping up high into the sky to reach them before they could get closer to her level, pants sounding through the air, light coughs coming from her as she shook the dead leaves from her jaws.

"Your dog's cute."

Looking over your shoulder at the new presence coming up beside you.

You inhaled deeply at the sight of her, the shade of her auburn hair rivalling the dark red tones of the falling leaves, it shining mutedly under the cold sun. Leather jacket drawn over her shoulders, the attached belt tied around her waist, with her hands in her pockets.

But you were absolutely captivated by her eyes.

The green reminding you of the trees, in this very same park, during the summer. Sparkling like the frost-covered blades of grass under the autumn sun.

"Thanks." You smiled at the beautiful stranger. "She's an idiot."

"Aren't all animals at heart?"

"Well, you got me there."

You then whistled for your dog to come back to you, which she did obediently. Stopping by your feet, butt wiggling with the power of her shaking tail, as she sat looking up at you lovingly.

"She adores you," You threw the woman another smile before looking back down at your pet, scratching behind her pointed ear. "Can I?" she then asked, gesturing to the dog.

"Of course."

You watched as the red-headed stranger crouched before your German Shepard, rubbing her cheeks lovingly while cooing cute little praises to the girl.

That may just have been the most adorable thing you have ever been seen.

"What's her name?"

"Lasher."

She looked up at you then, bare hands still deep within the animal's fur, brows furrowed and a curious look within her eyes.

"Lasher? What a unique name."

"She's adopted. I didn't name her," you explained as you clasped the lead onto her collar.

The woman raised to her feet within an, "Oh."