Happy Little Accidents. Part Two: Hope (Re-write)

Natasha Romanoff x Reader

Words: 4,245

Warnings: Crying/light angst, adoption process, stress, so many emotions.

Request: Nope.

Summary: After a long and tedious "battle" with the adoption system, you finally get your daughter back.

A/N: I wholly believe that Valentine's Day should be about all forms of love, not just romantic. Hence this family fic! When I originally wrote this, I knew I could do it better, but my writers block wouldn't allow that to happen, so I decided to re-write it now.

---

The adoption process was complex and complicated.

You probably should have assumed that walking into it.

Being a pair of Avengers did nothing to help in that aspect.

Not really.

On one hand, you were well-known across the globe- Household names even, be that of words good and foul.

But on the other hand, you were dangerous people. You would admit that yourselves. People with trauma and violent pasts -and futures to come, in your line of work- with more enemies between Natasha and yourself than you could begin to count. Some of which you didn't even know existed.

Honestly, who in their right mind would ever allow a child to be raised in that environment?

People have been turned down for much less.

However.

The Avengers were essentially celebrities.

And as everyone knows, that came with a lot of special treatment. Even if most of -if not all- of your team denied accepting any of it.

But in this case?

For Hope?

Your daughter?

You would do whatever you had to. Take whatever help and/or special treatment you could to get the child back in your home and where she belonged.

So, it was thanks to that, that you even had the opportunity to be considered for adoption.

And there was so much work that had to be done.

Papers to sign, meetings to attend, visits and screenings everywhere you looked. And so much more that clouded your mind.

It was a long and tedious journey.

And you still had a long way to go. The end still far in sight.

"This is pointless," you spoke from your seat on the couch, thumbs pressed against your temples, folded fingers cradling your forehead, as your girlfriends pottered around, cleaning the already sparkling apartment up.

"I know it is," Natasha said, voice just as dull as yours, as she finished fluffing a pillow, placing it back onto the couch.

"We're moving. They've already seen the house. We're not even planning on bringing Hope here. I don't get why they feel the need to evaluate this place."

"Y/N, I agree with you. I do." Natasha spun on her heel, gesturing her arms out to you in a stressed manner. "But this is just something that we have to do. No matter how illogical it may be."

With a sigh, you leaned your head back, running a hand through your hair while Natasha continued on with her stress cleaning.

"I'm sure they're trying to find drugs or weapons that we've left out or something, just to deny us."