55. Age-Appropriate

"I'm not a child!" Tess snapped reflexively, and immediately regretted it. From so many people, a comment like that would have been a veiled insult about her baby face. And all of her friends should have known her well enough not to say something like that. But this was Spike she was talking to, and she knew beyond any doubt that he would never treat her like a child.She must have misinterpreted his words, because any other explanation just didn't fit in with what she knew about him.

"I'm sorry," he answered right away. He paused just long enough that she knew he had actually thought about it, and knew he'd done something wrong, rather than reflexively trying to turn away criticism.

"No," she interrupted. "I'm sorry. There was no reason for me to react like that. I know you, Spike. If you're the one who said it, I know there's actual thought behind the words. And I'd like to hear what you were going to say, because I know it's going to be interesting."

"Way to put a guy on the spot," he chuckled, then tapped the poster. They were standing outside the Regal now, the second largest theatre in Upper Ashfields. The wall was covered with movie posters, some of them straight, pasted over the top of the ones for previous weeks' showings. In the gaps between, it might have been possible to find narrow slivers of advertising even a couple of months old. They were accompanied by Chloe and Rachel, Spike's friend Jeb, and a few others whose names Tess hadn't caught. They had all piled onto a bus in Raybridge, and then debated what to see over burgers at some place without a visible name.

The Regal had a bunch of indie films as well as the big names. That was why they'd decided to take a look, in case there was something to catch their eye out of the mainstream.

"I said, it looks like it's marketed as a film for kids," Spike tried to explain, gesturing at the poster in front of Tess. "But that's just a stylistic thing. We'd miss out on a lot of stuff if we limit ourselves based on who they're supposed to be for. It could be the next STP, but how would we know?"

"I can see that. It caught my attention because the art style looks familiar. Did you ever catch that Shaaark show a few years back? Similar style, and I recognise the big guy in the back."

"French poster, though. That's weird, like why would they show a foreign version of a kids' movie?"

"Maybe it was made in French. An extra movie we never got? Still not something I expected to see here. It just kind of stood out, you know? There's nothing childish about that. I didn't even watch that show when it was on, but... You know Ffrances, right? She's really into the comics it was based on, and she's got me reading some of them. There's more to them than you think."

They discussed it a little more. Tess was interested to see what this French film was about; if it would be following the same family-friendly tone as the cartoon, or if it was closer to MK's original work. And she wondered if there were any plot elements in this that her friends might recognise if they went to watch Tags later; though she couldn't really say that without spoiling the potential surprise. Once everyone had given their opinions, the choice seemed to be mostly between Tags and something called Shiroyamanomusuko, which looked to be an epic romance about a crippled former samurai.

"I don't know what to expect from either," Spike said with a smile. "Feels like it'll be a pleasant surprise."

"I think that title should probably have some spaces in," Tess suggested. "Which one are you going for?"

"Can't decide. You want to pick?"

"We already tried democracy. And just asking one person might make this feel like..."

"A date?" Chloe smirked. "Yeah, wouldn't that be weird. Do you want to watch a romance, or a... whatever genre you call it. I think he's being a little more transparent than usual."

"Hey, he's just being nice!" Tess protested, feeling the blush rising already. Was Spike really asking her a coded question that she hadn't even seen? There was no way to know, however much she hoped so. But now somebody else had said it, she would feel bad subjecting everyone else to that choice today. "It's hard to choose, that one does look interesting. But Spike hasn't seen Tags yet, and it's too good to miss."

"Well, I trust your judgement. But I think Jeb is desperate to see Tags, and Chloe and her girlfriend are going to call me uncultured heathens if I don't catch it soon. So, if you don't want to pick for me, we'll go with that. And if you want to see the Japanese romance thing, we can come back next week. When there isn't anyone around who might feel it threatens their masculinity."

That got a brief laugh. Among Spike's friends, regardless of gender, there probably wasn't anyone who would consider "too girly" a reason not to watch something if it was well written. But it was a few seconds later that Tess found herself picking up subtext that she didn't know was even there. He was inviting her to go to the cinema with him; just her, and not the whole group. And saying that a period romance was an acceptable choice. If she said yes, would that be a date? It was hard to see it as anything else, but she really didn't know.

The thought was in the back of her mind all the time they were buying tickets, and queueing to get drinks, popcorn, and nachos. Is this a date? The question wouldn't go away. Of course today wasn't. It was a gathering of friends, watching a movie that everyone had been curious about. But next week, if Spike had really invited her separately, it was easy to think he wanted her to think that way. But how much of that was wishful thinking?

Those thoughts evaporated within ten minutes when the movie started. It captured Tess's attention immediately, and she was expecting the next twist all the way through. She noticed Chloe and Rachel both tensed up at the start of the warehouse negotiations. Tess was probably just as excited; it was the kind of surprise that made you even more excited to see ir on subsequent viewings. And she noticed the surprise and confusion from most of Spike's friends when Shark first appeared in the shadows. She was vaguely aware of a Ciertowczki-shaped presence moving closer at the start of the movie, but Spike paid no attention and carefully chose a seat between Tess and Rachel, with friends all around him.

No distraction could tear Tess's attention away from the screen. The only other thing on her mind was how her friends were taking all the twists and turns in the plot. More than once she found herself watching Spike's reactions, enjoying his surprise and excitement as much as the movie itself. But then she noticed his hand right next to hers, on the armrest of his seat. It looked almost like he wanted to take her hand but was too nervous. At that point, the action on the screen no longer mattered. Spike had chosen to sit next to her, among all his friends. He had offered her the decision of what to watch. He had asked her to come with him to watch the Japanese romance thing next week. All those subtle hints, could it really be possible that it wasn't an invitation?

She didn't know. But after ten minutes of heart-racing anxiety, Tess forced herself to stare at the creen again. And while she held her breath, waiting for Cerberus Shark's iconic line along with all the others, she might have let her own hand move a fraction of an inch. Just close enough to be touching, but gentle enough that it could have been an accident.

Tess didn't know what she was supposed to be feeling now, but this was the single most intense moment of her life so far.