56. Night Out

"Why does anybody want to hang out with a baby?"

Tess didn't snap. She didn't yell. She held back and took a deep breath, and turned around slowly. She didn't need to look to see Mindy was there; there could be no mistaking that disdainful voice.

"Like, seriously, girl. You're pathetic, go find some kids your own age."

"I like my friends, thanks," Tess answered with a smile. She knew that a month before those comments would have made her explode in incoherent rage, but she wanted to think she was more mature now. Or perhaps she was just happier, after watching an epic movie with a bunch of friends, and Spike giving no sign that he objected to the lightest touch of hands in the last half hour. She was sure now that next time, he would be thinking about taking more proactive steps to show that he cared. All of her friends were still inside the Regal; Tess was the first out while the others visited the restrooms. And she was not going to let someone else's jealousy spoil this moment. "You here on your own?"

"No," Mindy snapped, but didn't elaborate. Of course she was on her own; she'd tacked onto the edge of Spike's group in the hope she could act like she was a part of the birthday outing, but from what Tess had overheard Rachel's friendliness had only lasted until the first derogatory comments about one of the many social groups Mindy considered to be losers. "How about you? Sitting next to Spike, telling yourself he doesn't see you like someone's little sister tagging along? You probably think this is like a date, just because you got to sit next to a boy."

"Do you need reminding I'm older than you?" Tess couldn't hold back that comment any longer, but she knew she shouldn't say too much. "And no, this isn't a date. It's a birthday party. Today is all about Spike, hanging out with all his friends. Did you get an invite?"

"Hey, I'm just being nice. There's no need to take that tone with me, kid. I just don't want you kidding yourself. Don't be telling yourself this is like a date, because there's no way he'd be interested in a little kid."

"Maybe you better stop acting like one, then?" Tess snapped back, and regretted it instantly. She just wanted this girl to leave her alone, but she couldn't help getting worked up a little by the constant jabs about her appearance. "Spike's set tonight up for us, we're all having a great time. And I'm not going to let you bring me down after he put so much effort in. And don't get so hung up wondering if this is a date. I can see that's bugging you. We're saving that for next week. Okay?"

This time, Mindy really didn't have anything to respond with, and she stormed away.

"I would have slapped her," the next voice was Chloe's, stepping around the corner. Tess just laughed a little, although she could easily see the encounter ending with a slap if Mindy had been so rude to Chloe. "After what she said before, I think she needs a wakeup call."

"So, you got a date?" Rachel was the next to arrive, picking up the conversation without a pause. Tess instantly responded by turning bright pink and losing the power of speech. She stammered for a couple of seconds, not knowing what else to say. It was the one moment she didn't want to see Spike appear, but as everyone was probably coming out of the Regal together, he couldn't be more than a couple of steps behind.

"Who's got a date?" It was Spike's voice. "Oh, hey Tess. I was wondering where you got to."

"I... Uhh..." she mumbled. "I'm sorry, the things Mindy was saying. I think she was just trying to get to me. So I said something I knew she wouldn't like."

"I can understand that sentiment," he said. "But don't let it become a habit. She can be a little abrasive, and she needs to learn that she can't always get what she wants. But I'd rather give her the benefit of the doubt when she isn't actually saying something hurtful. Maybe next time, she will be able to be polite."

"You didn't hear what she was saying before," Rachel growled, and it was easy to see how quickly Mindy was making enemies. The people in her own year had mostly stayed quiet; maybe they had more experience dealing with her, and had run out of patience long ago.

"I'm sorry," Tess answered. "I knew I shouldn't say it. I just wanted her to stop. She wouldn't drop the..."

"Not your fault. She does need to understand that she's not the centre of the universe. And now... what are your plans? People need to head home soon?"

"Do you need to check on your brother?"

"I should. But it can wait a while if people have other plans. I don't really know Upper Ashfields, but there must be something to do in the evenings."

There were a few ideas, but there were already some people mumbling about the need to get home before their parents worried. So it wasn't long before members of the group started to drift away. Those who remained walked around the parks, which seemed to take up most of Upper Ashfields in the absence of a proper town centre.

The conversation drifted to a wide range of subjects, but started circling back to Tags every few minutes. The people who hadn't known what to expect had so much to talk about, and so many things they didn't understand. While those on their second viewing had even more questions, and wanted to comment on the things they had missed the first time around. There was a lot to talk about, and this time Tess found it was easy to be the centre of attention because she could compare the story to the comics; which most of her friends hadn't even heard of. When it came to speculating about possible sequels, she had a lot of ideas about what the producers could think of, even if she knew there was even more that she hadn't seen.

Eventually, after a dozen different topics of conversation, she realised that the sun had already set, and that she and Spike were walking alone through one of Upper Ashfields's many scenic parks. It seemed that there was a strip of green at the back of every mall here, allowing shortcuts between every part of the town, and also providing a space where the sound of gravel crunching underfoot was the only sound, with no hint of crowds or traffic.

"Thank you," he whispered, before the silence could even think about becoming oppressive. "I had a wonderful evening. And I think you were the casting vote in persuading me to give that movie a try. I can see now why it was so hard to say what it's about without spoiling the story. Thank you."

"No, thank you. I'm glad you had a good day. I really hope that–"

"Something wrong?" Spike stopped, and turned to follow her gaze. He could see that Tess had something on her mind, and his first thought was how he could make her more comfortable. It was the way he always acted, and made Tess feel lucky to have him as a friend.

"Just..." she pointed through a gate to the street. "That looks like Gabby's car. I hope she's not looking for me or something."