132. Family

"Will you marry me?" The question hung in the air, and Ffrances couldn't do anything but stare at the ring. Tess was breathless now. A tiny part of her brain was spinning away like a hamster wheel, trying to work out how Gabby could possibly have made that happen. It must have taken so much work, even given all her industry contacts. This wasn't like somebody connected with the movie; this had to have been Kernigan himself, the author and artist behind comics that were loved by millions. And a man who it was legendarily difficult to get to see. His fans didn't even know what he looked like.

But that was all just a sideshow. The main question now was how long Gabby had planning this; and how long marriage had been on her mind. What Ffrances would say to it, and how it would change their life at home. Because Tess knew that she really did regard this place as home now, and she had no idea if she could still keep on living with them if Ffrances moved in with Gabby, or if they would want a place of their own to start married life. It was a crazy way to think, because she knew that both of them cared about her a lot. But Tess couldn't help worrying about her own plans for the day now. She had been confident in moving Spike in, knowing that if Gabby went ballistic they could always flee to Ffrances's house in Pine Ridge; it was like having a back-up family in case everything went wrong. But now she didn't know if that safety net would still be there. Or if the need for it might get in the way of the two women's relationship. Could she even imagine them getting married, when Ffrances didn't quite seem to trust her girlfriend in so many things?

"How did you even..." Ffrances gasped, still staring at the ring, and back to the page, and then at Gabby again. "I mean... MK makes it so hard to get in touch with him, he doesn't accept personal messages. And even once you found him, how would you persuade him..."

"He's a romantic," Gabby answered. "I told him what I had in mind, and he was happy to help. He likes you, you know? He wants you to be happy. And that's a big thing. You've got a whole community around you, all these people who want to help you. And that's what I want to be a part of. Not just... us. But us as a family, surrounded by a whole community. I think I grew up now, and I hope I can offer you something... less selfish than the person I was when we first met."

"MK was at that conference in Upper Ashfields, right?" Spike guessed. "The one that's totally not confirmed to be auditions for Tags 2. And Gabby brought him to Isaac's game night so he could check with your friends that this was a good idea."

"What?" Tess and Ffrances gasped together. "At the..."

"Frank told me he was there. He was mad that Isaac didn't tell him who this pseudonymous stranger was."

"I didn't hear about that!" Ffrances gasped. "I know Gabby has been trying to make friends, and I appreciate that, but... MK? How did nobody tell me?"

"Isaac and Harlem figured it out," Spike explained. "I overheard Isaac telling Frank when I was getting Nik something. I think nobody else knows, and they said not to tell you because MK's setting up a surprise. I never thought it would be..."

"Wow. Just... You really thought so hard about this. Didn't you?"

"I wanted it to be perfect. I wanted everything to be perfect for you. For us. So... will you marry me?"

"You know nothing would make me happier!" Ffrances said, when she found her voice again. And just as Gabby started to grin, she added: "But..."

"But?"

"But it's not just about us. We've got a family now, even if it's not in the traditional way, and we have to think about what's best for the kids too. I don't want to do anything that would cause more tension here. You understand?"

"Don't worry about us," Tess reassured her, and found that she was really hoping Ffrances would be able to say yes. It was amazing to see how happy she was now, and Tess wanted to believe that this could really go as well as they were all imagining. And at the same time, in the back of her mind she picked up on the word Ffrances had used. 'Kids'. There was no way that Gabby could have missed that, and she must be seeing it as a kind of restriction. Spike was a part of the family too, even if it was hard to think of him as a child, and it seemed pretty clear that if Gabby objected to that, it could be a deal breaker.

"I understand that," Gabby answered. "Trust me, I've been thinking about that more than anything. I know that Tess has travelled all over the world, moving home every year or so, and I know that must have made things hard for her. So while it comes to the end of her schooling, I'll do everything I can to ensure she has a stable family here to support her. That's a big part of... Of what made me realise I want this. How I want us to be a real family, who can trust and support each other without hesitation. You see? And I promise, whatever you say today, I will do whatever I can to make sure she's comfortable. And that means learning to understand what she really wants. And I guess the hardest part of parenting too: seeing your baby grow up and deal with things herself. I don't know if I'll cope well with seeing her make choices I disagree with, but I know that's something every family has sooner or later. And I'll try not to screw it up."

When she stopped talking, she was just staring into space, and it seemed she was exhausted by all the emotion. Tess couldn't begin to imagine how important this was to her, and how much she had invested in this plan. This was everything she had ever wanted, and it seemed like she really was trying to get over the worst parts of her own instincts. Her fingers were knotted in front of her, knuckles white as she gripped her own hands so tightly together. She was scared too, but also excited. And everyone was on the edge of their seats as they waited to see what Ffrances was going to say.

"Before I answer," Ffrances said, "please tell me one thing. Say that you remember the promise you made earlier this week, and that you're still planning to keep it."

"You can trust me," Gabby answered quickly, and then stared down at her own fingers on the tabletop, and it was clear that she was composing her own thoughts. They waited patiently to see what she was going to say next. "You can trust me, even when it doesn't seem like it. I screwed up today. I didn't want to tell you what Tess had asked for, because I didn't want to ruin the big day. I was going to tell you, I promise I was. I was just procrastinating, because the thought of having a man in the house still scares me. Putting it off so I could pretend it wasn't such a big deal, I guess. I should have asked you, like I promised Tess I would. And I'll try to do better. I'm not perfect, but I'll try."

"Then let's ask these two. They are a part of our household. Our family. And they should have a chance to make their worries known. Tess? Spike? Would you be uncomfortable staying here if me and Gabby were planning to get married? Would you be okay in a house that's turning into a nuclear family? I know you both would be somewhere between family and guests, and we would have to think about all the details of that and see what feels natural, but I don't want you to feel like we're pulling the rug from under you."

"I uhh..." Spike answered first. "I want you to be happy. I don't know how things usually work around here, but..."

"We're fine," Tess picked up as his voice trailed off into uncertainty. "We trust you completely. And if we could be like a real family, that would be amazing. I think we would both love that. I mean, we don't know how it will work out. But you've both tried so hard to make me comfortable. And you should totally do whatever makes you happy. We won't have a problem with that, I promise. Whatever the social dynamic here ends up being."

"Then I have no hesitation," Ffrances spoke up before Gabby could answer that. "Yes, Gabby. I want us to be a real family, and build a future together. And as long as that's what you want too, I know that this is going to be wonderful. Yes. Thank you so much. I love you."

Ffrances and Gabby were both jumping up from their seats and moving towards each other so they could kiss. Tess knew that it was a perfect, romantic moment; and was quite surprised to find that her first instinct was to reach out and hold the comic book in place, so that the jostling of the table didn't risk creasing the pages. But she wasn't quite surprised to find Spike's hand on top of hers, reaching out with the same thought at the same moment. His hand rested gently on hers, and gave her fingers a gentle squeeze. And unlike their first, accidental contact at the cinema a coupe of months before, neither of them saw any reason to move apart now. While the adults focused entirely on each other, Tess and Spike turned their heads to share a nervous glance, and a smile.

It looked like after all the drama and challenges of the past year, there was finally going to be a happy ending for everyone.