Epilogue: Another New Start (3/3)

"Tess?"

She looked up when she heard Spike's voice from the doorway. He looked more like a young professional than a high school student, in chinos and a polo shirt. Strangely enough, he looked even more mature since he had started shaving more regularly. Instead of the wispy beard, he now had a faint layer of stubble decorating his chin, that made it almost impossible to believe he was still a child. His body language made it clear as well; after some fun pushing a wooden train around his new playpen, he had returned to adulthood so that he could be more helpful in unpacking. He didn't have much in the way of possessions, and sorting himself out hadn't taken long; he had poked his head into Tess's room ten minutes before to let her know that he was ready to take a walk around campus or watch TV as soon as she had finished her own work.

"I'm nearly done," she answered. "Uncle Colin is bugging me about making sure I eat properly in college. I think he's trying to convince me I should be vegan, and it's hard to decline politely." She was glad that more of her extended family were getting in touch now; Gabby hadn't been ostracised from the family in the same way that Tess's parents had, so as the news that they were living together started to circulate on the middle-aged gossip grapevine, one aunt or cousin after another had reached out to find out if Tess was anything like her mother. But sometimes, it felt like having an extended family was as much a curse as a blessing.

"You sound tired," he said. "You were looking after me and unpacking all of our stuff for most of the morning. You've done the registration paperwork, and the room checklist for the insurance. You've been telling all your family that you arrived safely, fielding their questions, and no doubt promising everyone that you're going to look after yourself. Have you had any quality time for yourself yet today?"

"Playing with my little one always cheers me up," she said, and forced a little smile. "It's not the same as with you, you know? You had to grow up and look after yourself, so taking a break is good. I take charge of everything because I enjoy it. And I've not just been working; I'm chatting with friends too, you know?"

"Showing them photos of the new room? Even chatting with friends can be a chore if they all have the same questions, you know. If it's making you feel so worn out, you need to relax a little."

"Okay. You're probably right." Tess knew he was right really. As much as she loved these people, right now each message she wrote felt like a chore. Like she wanted to take a break from the world, just as soon as it was convenient. "I'll just answer this email, and get back to Isaac about the party arrangements. Then it's just us for a while. You want to be little again?"

"It'd be nice, but I don't think you're up to it right now. And you're planning a party that's weeks away, there's no rush."

Tess sighed slowly. She was used to this kind of conversation with Gabby, and this was similar in some ways, but different in others. When her cousin berated her for working too hard, or pushing herself to do everything that was expected of her, it was often because she still saw Tess as a child, even as her figure finally started to develop. Or she was looking for an excuse to push her into her child headspace, because Gabby always wanted Tess to be little. With Spike, she could be more confident that his questions came from a place of genuine concern. And perhaps more importantly, he paid a lot of attention to her; he knew her moods and her needs. When he said she was getting irritable because of tiredness or hunger, even if she didn't feel it herself, he was usually right. And then Tess was torn between being upset that she made a mistake, and glad there was someone else watching out for her.

"Okay," she said. "I'll just finish this message. Five minutes, tops. And then we have nothing but relaxation for half an hour."

"You said ten minutes last time. That was an hour ago. Need some help switching off?"