Act IV: 105. Big New Start

Tess woke, stretched, and lifted herself out of bed. She was wet again; although thankfully it had become a lot less frequent since Christmas. Perhaps resolving all of her anxiety about Gabby's unusual demands had made it easier for her to get a good night's sleep, or something like that. But she wasn't feeling like a little kid today, which was a big improvement. The medical diapers were clearly designed for older people, and there was no attempt to make them look cute or even fashionable. But while they weren't so childish, she could think clearly without diminishing all of the suggestions that Ffrances had given her.

Gabby was already on the way to work; she had set out early several days in a row, leaving Tess free to talk to Ffrances. That was going to be hard enough, but she knew that it was only her own worries holding her back now.

"Early start for her again," Ffrances greeted Tess as soon as she stepped into the kitchen. "She asked me to make you breakfast. Any preference?"

Tess shrugged and dropped a Pop-Tart into the toaster. As much as she liked the offer of a cooked breakfast every morning, sometimes it was nice to have something simple that she could do herself.

"I figured," Ffrances grinned. "Don't know what Gabby's got against those things. I mean, it's a good start to the day."

"Yeah. You're not needed in work early this morning?"

"No. I'll be heading out pretty early, but that's mostly to check on other stuff. You know?"

"Yeah. Would it be appropriate if I asked for a ride to PRMCT? Assuming there's a reason for me to be there."

"Can do. I'm just waiting for the coffee machine to warm up, if you're in a hurry."

They didn't need to say anything else. They'd both noticed that Gabby had taken to leaving her laptop lying around the house at odd intervals, the lid not fully closed. And Ffrances said she already knew that Gabby had tried recording the house to see what they were talking about in her absence. They hadn't really talked about it, but they both seemed to have gotten into the habit of not mentioning certain topics. Like Spike's presence in Ffrances's office from time to time. Tess hadn't been entirely sure he would be there this morning, but Ffrances had pretty much confirmed it.

"Spike asked you to help with his school paperwork?" Ffrances started the discussion.

"Yeah. I think I got it sorted. He'll have to change his doctors' registration too. I guess you sorted that for him?"

He'll have to do it in writing to the trust, but that's no big deal. Faceless insurance companies, faceless medical corporations, and privatised government bodies. Nowhere in there is there any leeway for a human being to make a difference. Send them the right forms and they'll just rubber-stamp the change."

"Figured it might be."

They drove on in silence for a minute or two, before Tess broached the question that she had really wanted to ask.

"You told Spike about the regression thing?"

"I gave him a book. Including details of some of the ways people like to get away from the stresses of everyday life. Regression was one of the things in there, and I think it's one that he was particularly curious about. I didn't tell him about anything you've done. Or what Gabby wants to push you into."

"Yeah... He... He wants to try some of that stuff. And I wondered if it would be different. I mean, when it's just the two of us, little sister and littler sister, it's more relaxing than with Gabby taking charge. If it's Spike though, that would be different again. And I don't know how it would work."

"I guess first you'd have to decide if you're playing with a little girl or a little boy," Ffrances had an answer for everything, and she hadn't even appeared to give it any thought. She just asked the questions that Tess hadn't even considered. But that was confirmation enough that she really had just mentioned regression in an academic sense. If she'd talked to Spike about his own interests, she would already know the answer to that question.