Chapter 4

Hi everyone! Happy new year! To those of you who have read up to this point, thank you so much! Please like, comment, and vote - it would mean a lot ☺️

————

Magnolia

I didn't sleep at all last night. By daybreak I was tired of just laying there, driving myself crazy, so I slipped out of bed and took off for the training grounds.

The grounds are deserted at this hour so I'm able to get in my workout in peace. I don't know how long I'm there for when Incandis and Xander find me laying on the floor, smoke rising off my body from being literally burnt out.

"I told you she didn't sleep." Incandis mutters to Xander, scrutinizing me and speaking about me as if I'm not there.

Xander frowns but doesn't say anything.

"Mags, why don't we get you back so you can sleep for a bit before we meet?" Incandis reaches out his hand to help me up off the floor.

"Don't be ridiculous," I glare at him. If last night is any indication, I know I won't be able to rest now either. My mind has been running a marathon, going through different possibilities, different scenarios, imagining their outcomes and calculating their chances of success.

I lift off into the air towards the castle, Incandis and Xander following behind me.

"Where are we in terms of getting a meeting with Elder Rimori?" I ask Incandis as we land and walk into the castle's main entrance.

"She'll be here within the hour, we'll meet with her in your office and then we have a meeting with Malin to get an update on the hunter activity." Incandis says.

"Good. Xander, I'll want to meet with the guards after I see Malin. Can you arrange for them to gather in the meeting hall about thirty minutes after I'm through with Malin?" That should give me enough time to synthesize all the new information — well, hopefully new information.

——

"My young queen, Elder Rimori is here to see you." One of the guardsmen announces to me.

"Thank you, please see her in."

Incandis bows to the elder as she enters, "thank you for coming all this way again, I know it's not an easy journey."

She smiles kindly at him, "I don't get to see the grove often enough, it's always a pleasure."

He gestures to a seat and pulls it out for her to sit, ever the gentleman.

She situates herself in the armchair across my desk, she has yet to look at me let alone address me.

"We were all very intrigued to receive a call from your father. Ianthe runs a tight ship, we've hardly had cause to — intervene." She looks up at me finally, her warm smile drops as she stumbles over her words when our eyes meet.

Her eyes widen considerably, surprise, terror registering on her face. It's a look I'm intimately familiar with, it graces the faces of most who meet me for the first time, but it's most unexpected on an elder.

"I-I am so sorry, you must excuse me. We will have to meet another time."

Incandis and I are dumbstruck, mouths agape, scrambling to process what the fuck is going on.

"Forgive me for speaking out of turn, Elder Rimori, but we were hoping the nature of your business with my father could help lead us to his whereabouts." I'm incredulous. This can't be happening.