Chapter 15

Happy Monday!  Enjoy the new chapter :)

Please vote and comment!

—————

Rohanor

The sun is up in all its glory, and soon we can hear the bustle of breakfast in the kitchen.

"I'm heading out." I stand and say abruptly to Varian with no preamble.

"Where are you off to so early? Training isn't for another two hours." Varian asks from behind me.

"Training center, I want to check in on Syble's progress with her group. Maybe we can steal her away after and take her somewhere. What do you think?"

At this point I'd make up any excuse just to watch her. She's an incredible fighter; strong, agile, adaptive. The pull to her is becoming truly unbearable and I know Varian feels it too. Our wolves are constantly agitated, arguing with us about claiming her. Then Varian and I end up arguing over whether or not we should entertain getting to know her beyond her fighting skills.

We dissected our conversation with our dad, and we know we need to get to know her. We need to figure out who she is behind all her posturing, – her mask, literally.

He brushes his thumb and index finger over his chin like he's deep in thought. "We could probably show her the lake, it's private enough. Maybe tomorrow?"

"Maybe we can take her to lunch in town today then, to get away from prying eyes." I offer.

"And him." Varian says, clearly in reference to Incandis.

"You coming with me to the gym, or no?" I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to finally get some sleep. He looks like shit, which probably means I do too.

He takes a steadying breath, we're both about to embark on a journey we swore we'd never entertain. "Yeah, okay, let's go."

Five minutes later we're standing outside the door to the training center. It's just before the women's group is due to arrive, I know Syble gets here early to warm up before they do. I'm not sure if it's my heightened sense of hearing or if they're really shouting that loudly but from outside the building Varian and I can hear Syble arguing with someone inside.

"Ma—" Incandis starts to say.

"Finish that sentence and I'll snap your neck."

"Syble, I can't fight with you."

"Can't, or won't?"

"Both. You know why."

At this Varian and I look at each other with intrigue and slip silently inside the doors of the training center. Syble is on Incandis' back with his head in a choke hold. Varian and I duck behind a pillar when Syble jumps off his back and Incandis turns around to face her. A minute passes with them staring at each other.

"Queen's orders, and don't you fucking hold back on me." Her tone is bone-chilling.

Incandis looks defeated and enraged all at once, like he just got sucker punched in the gut. Slowly, white bat-like wings with sky blue edges unfold from behind him. I can't see her reaction with her back turned to us, but slowly her wings unfold as well. Hers are a deep, royal purple color and tattered on the bottom, littered with what look like burn holes, like she's been through war.

She makes the first move, literally flying over the floor ramming straight into Incandis. He takes a single step backwards upon impact to steady his balance before trying to punch her in the stomach. She uses her wings to propel her backwards, before flying into him again. They both wrestle like this for a while, mid air, fists flying. She moves so fast, faster than any wolf I've ever met, but she can only keep it up for short distances I've realized.