Chapter 13

Surprise! Early update! 

As a thank you to the new readers and followers :) I'm so grateful to you all for reading to this point. Please make sure to vote and comment!

–––––

Varian

The sun is still a few hours from rising, but I can't sleep. I haven't been able to since she arrived in our woods. Neither Rohanor nor I have slept well. Not when we can smell her scent, her arousal on some nights, hear her whimpering in her sleep. Our wolves pace in our minds, feverishly pushing us to go to her, to comfort her and settle our own nerves.

The past few days have been torture too. I'm not sure what I expected the matebond would feel like, but I certainly thought I'd have more control than this. I can't escape her, her scent is everywhere. The kitchen, the lounge, the training center. It's permanently embedded in our office, so even here I can no longer focus or go a minute without thinking about her.

It's not for lack of trying. After the night we took her out with the trackers I've needed ice baths to cool the heat that's begun simmering for her. She had to ride home with Rohanor that night. Another minute of her thighs pressing against me, the heat from her center along my spine, and my wolf would have taken her with no regard for who was watching. We felt it best after that to leave the search to Baron and his team.

We still allow her to train with our group after hers is done. I hate to admit it but she brings a fresh perspective on war tactics and defensive measures. There's not a single wolf who hasn't learned something from her or grown stronger because of her.

When they leave, her absence will be felt throughout the pack. We can't risk anyone finding out that she's our mate, their luna, and that we rejected her and sent her back home. They'll move on much easier if they think she was just another guest. My chest tightens as this train of thought barrels through my mind threatening to consume me. I refuse to acknowledge that Ro and I will be among those who feel her loss.

My office door opens, I expect it to be Ro but I'm surprised when I pick up my father's scent instead. He doesn't regard me as he walks in, rather he silently comes to a stand next to me, looking out into the woods that will soon ignite with color from the rising sun.

"What are you doing up so early?" I ask him, genuinely curious. It is unlike him these days to be up before dawn.

"What are you doing up so late?" He says without malice.

I frown and look down towards my feet, shifting my weight on my legs. "How did you know I haven't slept yet?"

He sighs and gestures for me to sit with him on the couches. "It's been a while since I've lost sleep over this job, but I still recognize the symptoms. It's that dragoness, isn't it?"

"Why would she have anything to do with it?" I try to deflect. I remain standing, I'm more on edge now than I was before he walked in. He can't possibly know, can he?

"Surely you must feel it? Everyone in the pack has been calmer, happier, stronger since she appeared at our doorstep." He smirks at me knowingly. "Everyone but you and Rohanor, that is."

"There's nothing calming about running the pack, outfitting search teams, and babysitting two dragons." I say through a clenched jaw. It's too damn early for this heavy of a conversation and the lack of sleep does nothing for my mood.

"Oh please, if anything that girl out there is babysitting you. I've heard the warriors talking, I know what they all think of her – don't you fucking growl at me. Sit down, it's time we talked."