Chapter 43

This is the second update today!

So if you haven't read chapter 42 ...do that now!

 — — — — —

Rohanor

"She's late."

"It's 5:01, that's hardly late." Varian rolls his eyes at me.

"She swore she'd have Incandis bring her here by 5." I growl back.

"Maybe they're stuck in traffic." He bites back a smirk. Fucking smartass.

"You think you're fucking hilarious. Call him, I want her home with us now."

Varian may think I'm overreacting but I really don't give a shit. Mags has been out of sorts the past few days; barely eating, exhausted, reading and re-reading archive texts. I'm hoping that tonight's pack dinner will give her a place to relax where she's not constantly reminded of her mission. Just for tonight I want her to focus only on relaxing. I want her to let us introduce her as our mate and Luna, to let us be the strong ones while she socializes and mingles carefree.

"Hey Incandis, is Mags ready to go?" I hear Varian ask over the phone.

There's a disturbingly long pause before Incandis speaks. "She texted me saying she was getting Xander to bring her. Let me go track them down."

As much as I trust Mags with her guards, I'm still not thrilled about Xander always being around. Plus dragons don't have the same ways of life as wolves. There's not a single wolf in our pack who would dare let their eyes linger on their Luna. They know Varian and I would kill them on sight. I don't have the same authority in the Grove that I do as Alpha. Not yet anyway. But I can't promise I won't kill them all the same.

We haven't talked much about what will happen when everything settles down. Varian and I both understand her reasons, she needs to focus all her energy on finding her family. But that doesn't stop the occasional pangs of rejection from constricting my chest. Our wolves are becoming impatient, they want the mating ceremony to occur as soon as possible so we can fill her belly with our next Alpha.

Little under a month ago I didn't even want a mate. Then the flaming tornado that is my mate dropped into our territory and suddenly I'm salivating at the thought of her belly swollen with pups.

A rustling of papers from wind with no apparent source shakes me loose of my wayward thoughts.

"For fuck's sake, Incandis!" Varian shouts.

I look up just in time to see Incandis teleporting into our office by Varian's desk.

"Can't you teleport on Ro's side? Does it always have to be mine? Or better yet the front door?"

"Sorry, habit. Mags has her desk on this side, too." He tries for levity but there's an undercurrent of worry in his voice.

Quickly, his normally calm, commanding demeanor dissolves and is replaced by a frantic panic.

"We may have a problem. I looked everywhere for her but she's gone, she's not in the Grove. I found this in her office and this in her room."

Varian and I immediately bolt out of our seats. Incandis hands us a picture and a piece of paper — a note with her handwriting on it.

I don't have to ask who the men in the photo are, Incandis and Mags are carbon copies of one of the men – their father. Which means the other man in the photo must be their uncle. They've been chained to a stone wall and both have fresh cuts and bruises all over their bodies.