Chapter 8

Please don't forget to comment and vote! Enjoy ☺️
—————

Syble (Magnolia)

It's a beautiful day for a swim, and desperately needed. Under the water I can be alone in the silence it offers, away from the roar of the waterfall in my mind. I strip myself bare, leaving my clothes carefully folded on a nearby boulder. I dive into the water and brace myself for the cold, but the cold never comes. The water is deliciously warm. I submerge myself a few more times before allowing myself to float on my back, noise blocked by the water over my ears, everything is perfectly still.

Slowly I start to feel a ripple disturbing the water. I sit up to find two large black and white wolves standing at the water's edge. Their low growls send ripples across the water from where their paws are submerged near the shore. As if tethered to an invisible line I am pulled towards them. My body is frozen, incapable of fighting against the current that is carrying me to them.

I reach the shore, kneeling in the shallows trying to hide my nakedness from them. They pad around me, sniffing my hair, still growling...or maybe purring. They open their jaws as wide as my head. I'm surrounded by two sets of razor sharp teeth. In a flash they sink their teeth into the crook of my neck and I lose consciousness. Everything goes black.

——

It's already light by the time I wake up. I'm momentarily disoriented as I take in my unfamiliar surroundings. The room is tastefully decorated with more modern fixtures. Creams, golds, and dusty rose colors are intertwined throughout. I'm laying in a queen size four-poster bed with sheer white curtains draped over the canopy. To my left is an intimate sitting area in front of floor to ceiling windows. In the middle is a sliding door that leads out onto a small balcony.

To my right sits a large dresser with a vanity mirror attached atop it. In front of me are two doors. I throw myself out of bed hoping that one of these doors is a bathroom. I open the door furthest right first and find that it's a full walk-in closet and it's completely bare, not a single scrap of fabric. Just a few extra sets of linens stacked on a shelf.

I open the door directly across from the bed and am relieved to find that it is an en-suite bathroom. There's a walk in shower big enough for four people in one corner. In the other sits a sunken jacuzzi tub. What I wouldn't give to be back home soaking in the thermal pools. This will be as close as I can get for a while. Perhaps I'll take a long soak tonight, but for now I settle on a quick shower.

I'm lacing up my boots when there's a knock on the door. I tie on my blind fold and open the door.

"Morning m— Syble."

I narrow my eyes at Incandis' almost screw up. "Morning."

"Come on, the alphas have invited us down for breakfast."

I follow him through the halls down towards the kitchen.

"You're awfully bright eyed this morning. Sleep well?" He asks, smirking at his private joke.

"A bit restless at first but then okay I guess. I had the most curious dream."

He grins at this but doesn't say anything.

We're almost to the kitchen when he stops. From around the corner we can hear elevated voices arguing.

"Of all the irresponsible things! You opened our doors to not one but two dragons." Booms an unfamiliar masculine voice.

"Honey I'm sure they know what they're doing, they've done nothing but good since taking over for you, let's not doubt them now." Another unknown voice says, this one belonging to a woman.