Chapter 11

Happy Monday!
Please enjoy, vote, and leave a comment ☺️
—————

Kat

The warriors start to arrive back at the pack house and they're welcomed by the delicious aroma of grilled chicken, baked sweet potatoes, bacon, and an array of steamed veggies.

I notice Incandis and Syble helping themselves to the buffet of food before them and I leave to join everyone in the dining hall, figuring that they'll soon follow. A few minutes pass but I don't see them, so I head back into the kitchen to check.

I turn the corner into the kitchen and as expected I find them sitting at the breakfast bar. I'm surprised by the disappointment I feel that they've chosen to isolate themselves here together. I've been looking forward to getting to know them, especially Incandis. I feign surprise so I don't come off as desperate, "Oh, there you are! Everyone's in the dining hall, why don't you join us?"

"I'm not keen on crowds. Thank you though, Kataria." Syble answers politely.

"Kat." I correct her. I can't remember the last time someone has called me by my full name.

Incandis chuckles to himself making Syble and I both look at him curiously.

"What's so funny?" Syble asks him, amusement evident in her voice.

"Nothing," he says but his smirk betrays him, "it's just she's a wolf named Kat. It's a bit ironic."

I frown, I'm not sure why but hurt pierces through me, my heart aching at his words.

Syble's fork is suspended in midair as she pauses to watch him quickly try to back pedal. "I didn't mean it in a negative way, just making an observation." He says, his voice laced with guilt and sincerity.

I give him a small smile and nod my head, it is ironic. "It's fine, I never really thought of it that way." Nervously, I tuck a stray strand of hair behind my ear. I'm not sure why I crave his approval. The need for him to regard me positively — to like me, is overwhelming.

Syble's eyes dart between us, fascinated no doubt by how painfully awkward this interaction is between us. I'm saved from further scrutiny by the dragoness as Runidar walks into the kitchen with several of our male and female warriors.

"Impressive performance today, Syble." Runidar compliments her, but I don't know what he's referring to exactly.

"When he had you in that choke hold I thought you were done for, I nearly lost it when I saw you flip him over like that." One of the other male warriors gushes.

The women from the group listen with rapt attention. "Wait what happened, what did I miss?" one of them questions.

"You didn't see it? She took down Alpha Rohanor!" the warrior continues.

He retells the story of Syble and Ro sparring against each other. She accuses the warrior of sprinkling embellishments into his story and humbly denies them. She starts talking to them about their training back at home and soon a crowd forms around us as she tells us of the various battles they've fought and the summers they spent training for survival.

For someone who says she doesn't like crowds, she's managed to yet again be the center of attention. She's so at ease with herself, every wolf within earshot hangs on her every word, entranced. There's something about her that draws everyone in, that makes her immediately likable once you get past her hardened exterior. She's charismatic, charming, and the way Incandis looks at her — what I wouldn't give for him to look at me like that.