Chapter 25

Happy hearts day to you all! 

Thank you for following me and reading up to this point. 

I love and appreciate your support. 

Enjoy!

— — — — —

Syble (Magnolia)

I hastily throw on my shorts, shirt, and shoes, shifting quickly and taking off for the skies. I conceal myself in shadows so no one panics at the sight of a dragon flying overhead. I make it back to the pack house in less than 5 minutes but I'm not ready to go into the house just yet. I need to clear my mind and the packhouse is the first place the twins will come searching for me.

I land instead in the middle of the gardens, shift back into my human form, and take a seat on one of the low hanging branches beneath the magnolia tree.

There is a part of me that knows I would have given everything to the twins, they make it feel so easy to fall for them. Beneath their hardened exterior they are thoughtful, protective, and my Gods do they stoke my fire. But when Varian reached for my blindfold, something held me back, I couldn't give him my identity.

Not because I don't trust them necessarily, but because my secrets could put them and their entire pack at risk. They said it themselves the night we arrived. If someone managed to track me here, knowing who I am, they would tear through anyone in their way to get to me. This is exactly why I've avoided getting seriously involved with anyone, being close to me only puts people in danger. Even if those people are strong, and caring, and more irresistible by the day, even if they might as well be the very air that I breathe...it would be selfish of me to open them up to the dangers that surround me simply by existing.

Several minutes go by before I'm fished from the storm that is my thoughts by the sound of Accalia's voice. "Mind if I join you?" Accalia smiles kindly at me.

"Oh, yes of course, sorry." She takes a seat next to me on the tree's hanging arm.

"How was shopping yesterday?" She asks cheerily.

"Long," I laugh, "Kat knows how to shop."

Accalia laughs softly along with me.

"And how was your day with the twins today?" She lifts an impish eyebrow as she asks.

My head snaps sideways to look at her, my mouth opens, unable to hide my surprise. "How did you know I was out with them today?"

She simply shrugs, giving me a secretive smile, "call it intuition."

I tilt my head back and sigh to the heavens. At this she frowns slightly.

"Are they being respectful?" She asks quietly, as if she's afraid of the answer.

"Yes ma'am, they've been nothing if not gracious hosts." I answer honestly. The twins have been good to me, very good. It's me that's the problem. Who I am, the secrets I have to keep in order to protect my people, in order to protect the people I love...

"I see. Then why is it that you are sitting here under the magnolia tree all alone?" She asks in a way only a mother can.

"I just — I've never doubted myself before coming here. I'm used to making the tough choices, being decisive and sure. The more time I spend here, with the twins especially, the cloudier my mind becomes. I'm second guessing what's right, what I want. Everything and nothing makes sense."