Chapter 29

Ever have one of those days where you forget what day it even is? >.<

Apparently today is friday, haha.

Happy Friday!

— — — — —

Syble (Magnolia)

My world stops spinning as I process their words. They've scented my family, we're going to find them.

"What are we waiting for? We have to go! Now!"

I fix my dress and hand Ro back his shirt, hurrying through the suite to the exit. My vision tunneled and focused only on getting to my dad and uncle.

The twins are hot on my heels barking orders to Runidar and the rest of the crew still in the suite. I appreciate how quickly they can flip the switch between work and play. It shows me that they know how important this is to me.

I find Incandis dancing indecently with Kat on the dance floor. His embarrassment is quickly replaced with hope and urgency when I tell him what the trackers have found. The five of us exit the club just as Runidar is pulling up one of the SUVs to take us home.

It's the longest 15 minutes of my life. Waiting anxiously in the back of the car as Runidar races through town back to the pack house. Varian and Ro run their fingertips up and down my back to comfort me as we drive but I can't focus on anything but getting back and getting out to find them.

The trackers are waiting for us in the conference room when we get back. Still in our black tie finery, we gather to hear what they've found.

"Alphas, Syble, about an hour ago we received a mindlink from two guards on patrol that they've picked up the same unidentified scent we've been finding this last week. I sent 5 men out there to investigate. The guards that sent us the original mindlink are missing, but their scent leads into a cave on the edge of the south side of our lands. My men picked up not only the unidentified scent but the scent of your colony members as well."

I stop breathing. "What are we waiting for then? Let's go."

"Woah, Syble, wait a second." Incandis stops me. "It's the middle of the night, the guards that alerted them are missing now too. Let's get some sleep, make a plan in the morning and head out then."

"Incandis is right, spitfire." Ro says cautiously. "We don't need anyone else disappearing." He looks at me like he's silently pleading for me to stand down.

My skin heats as my flames slowly stoke to life as I find myself not in control of this situation. My family is out there, in my reach, and I'm being told to wait. I know they're right... but they've been gone over a month.

Without another word I storm out of the room, steam trailing behind me as I try to suppress the wildfire threatening to blaze through me.

In my room I slip off my mask and shoes. Steam billows off of me as I use every ounce of my self control to contain my flames.

There's a soft knock on my door. I'm sure it's Incandis checking on me, but I'm not in the mood to talk. "Not now, Incandis."

"Try again, spitfire." It's not Incandis, it's Ro.

"Open the door love, you're going to set off the smoke alarm." Varian teases gently.

I tie on my blindfold before opening the door.

Ro and Varian open the door and catch sight of me, fuming and shaking as I continue fighting a losing battle against my own flames.

"Oh, love." Varian sighs, wrapping me in his arms. "What's wrong?"