Chapter 32

Play with Fire – Sam Tinnesz

Insane, inside the danger gets me high

Can't help myself got secrets I can't tell

I've always liked to play with fire

— — — — —

Incandis

Two hours pass by agonizingly slowly. I tried eating, but, like Rohanor and Varian, I can't stomach anything while Magnolia is gone. Despite showing them all to their own suites, one by one we all ended up back in Mags' office. I notice that Kat has showered and changed into some of the spare clothes I had the staff leave for her. I'm surprised by how much I like seeing her wearing the colors of the grove.

The Alphas pace around the room, occasionally a fireball will appear in their hands. They toss them around mindlessly for a while before ultimately extinguishing them, only to do it all again a minute later.

I go over every second of the attack in my mind. I can't get the sound of Kat screaming out my head, can't stop seeing Mags bleeding unconscious on the cold, stone floor. First my father and uncle, and now my queen... my little sister. Bile rises in my throat at the unthinkable.

My phone rings, rescuing me from my dark line of thinking.

"Incandis."

"Sir, it's Doctor Alers. The queen's injuries have been healed. The blade missed her heart by an inch, passing through only muscle and bone."

I breathe a momentarily sigh of relief. "Why wasn't she healing on her own?"

"We suspect the blade may have been dipped in some kind of poison. Her blood work came back positive for 'Hemorrdexal', more commonly known as Sanguine Death. Once we counteracted the poison her self-healing kicked in and stopped the bleeding. I stitched up the wound so her body wouldn't have to work as hard."

"Where is she now?"

"She's been relocated to her suite. I must caution you...though she is healed, she will need at least a day to regain her full energy. It's taken a lot out of her body to heal the damage she suffered."

Ha. Getting Mags to take it easy for an entire day? An impossible task if ever there was one.

"Thanks doc."

"It is my honor to serve the queen."

I hang up the phone and look up to four sets of eager eyes.

"That was the doctor, they healed the wound but she needs to rest. She's been moved to her room."

The Alphas immediately start heading to the door but I cut them off before they can reach it, incurring menacing growls from both of them.

"Look, I'm not going to keep you from her, I just need to talk to her first. Then she's all yours." I say with raised palms. "Maybe you'll have more luck getting her to stay in bed and rest." I mutter mostly to myself but their subtle grins confirm that they heard me.

I lead everyone out of her office and up to her door. I need to check on her, make sure she's really okay.

Maybe this attack will make her more cautious. Maybe she'll realize how much she means to the grove, to our family, to me.

— — —

Syble (Magnolia)