Chapter 33

You can thank @Shez_phanny and @Tiny_but_tough3807 for manifesting this early update 😝

Let's goooo

— — — — —

Syble (Magnolia)

I'm rendered speechless. I stumble back towards the bed, my legs buckling under the weight of his intensity. I don't fully understand what is going on, but for some inexplicable reason I believed Ro when he said they wouldn't hurt me.

"What does that mean exactly?" I whisper.

"How about a deal, hmm?" Varian cautiously approaches me and takes my hand in his, softly rubbing his thumb in an arc across the back of it, trailing sparks everywhere he makes contact with my skin. "Tell us who you are, no more secrets. Let us in. Maybe we can figure out who was after you today. In exchange, we'll answer any of your questions."

If only Varian knew what he was asking of me; to put my blind trust in them with my life, the lives of my family, my entire colony. But then Ro's words were so resolute, as if simply saying them made them law. They would never hurt me.

I doubt they'll let this go. Varian can call it a deal but we both know they're holding the answers I want hostage unless I relent. Their mom somehow knows the truth, she could have told them at any point, but she didn't. She knew I needed to be the one to tell them when I was ready. This whole week I've been feeling like there was something they weren't telling me, all the while they probably felt the same about me. The truth is I don't want to hide myself from them anymore, especially not here at home in the safety of the grove.

Slowly he leads me over to the couch to sit with them. I settle in the middle of the couch between Kat and Ro, close enough to him that our thighs brush up against each other's, sending those same familiar tingles throughout my body. Varian settles on the floor in front of me.

Taking in a deep breath I begin, "My given name is Magnolia Brightscale, firstborn daughter of Queen Ianthe, heiress apparent of Twilight Grove. And Incandis..." I smirk at Kat, "is my older brother."

Three pairs of eyes go wide, mouths agape, but none of them say anything. They simply nod, lean closer, and wait for me to continue.

"My father, Bastian, is the king of our colony. Strong, compassionate, and fair, he has ruled alongside my mother for centuries." My voice drops to a whisper, "he's the one we're looking for, him and his brother; my uncle, Dex. They're the ones who went missing."

For a minute no one speaks. Kat is the one to break the silence. "Why didn't you tell us this before?" she asks softly, "If there's anything wolves understand, it's family."

"It's not that simple. Being the heir to the throne already puts my safety at risk, add to that an unidentifiable threat that has already caused two of my family members to go missing. There are also those who would seek to use me for my gift. Outside of the grove I am careful to conceal my identity and escape recognition. To the world I am Syble, some blind assassin, but to my people, I am Queen."

Their heads cock to the side at the mention of my gift. And when I'm done speaking, there's a pregnant pause as they take in this new information. Varian and Ro exchange a look, no doubt debating who is going to ask me about my gift. Varian apparently drew the short straw because his lips begin to part as he takes in a quick breath. Before he can ask me about the nature of my gift, I lift a finger to his lips to stop him. I say softly, "it would be easier to show you."

I reach my hands up behind my head and slowly undo the knot that holds my blindfold in place. With shaky hands I pull down the blindfold and lift my head up to finally look the twins directly in the eye. Kat gasps out something inaudible, Varian's eyes hold my own for several moments before breaking free from my gaze and closing tightly. Ro's face remains impassive, his jaw clenching before forcing his eyes closed as well.