[10] PORTALS

PORTALS

"We've had our suspicions for a while." Tony adds. "We are not sure yet, but we think the portals are connected to you somehow."

My knees buckle as I listen, my head spinning around as it sinks in.

"Are you okay?" Steve asks.

"Hold on, I just need a second to process this." I say.

"Sure. Take your time."

"I'm going to get some fresh air."

Before anyone can say anything else, I exit the lab and head back towards the top floor, a million thoughts racing through my mind.

The breeze outside is refreshing, the fresh air a nice change from the suffocating feeling inside the lab.

After walking around for a while, I find a corner and sit there, letting the back of my head rest against the wall.

No one should be able to see me here.

Letting out a shaky breath, I bring my knees against my chest and rest my forehead against them, letting my thoughts roam free.

The portals might be connected to me?

I mean, the worst part is that what Thor says actually makes sense, otherwise, how would the portal appear nearby at all times? Almost as if it's following me around.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The day I found the portal, I was thinking of them.

I rise to my feet at the realization.

The portals are connected to me! But how, and why?

I run my hands through my hair.

How does that make sense? And how am I supposed to control something that I didn't even know I can do?

"I might be able to help you." A voice says, a familiar shiver running down my spine.

With my head snapping up, I quickly look around, my eyes settling on someone that looks like Loki. I would say that it's him, but his image has a golden glow to it, like a hologram, or in this case, an illusion.

"You're not even here Loki." I say, looking away from him.

"Oh, but I'm nearby." He says, a playful smirk on his face. "Meet me at Central Park."

Raising a brow, I stand up.

"I don't think leaving the tower is going to be easy."

"But there are other ways, are there not?"

My eyes shift to the portal, which has now become visible.

"Don't be long." He says, disappearing right after.

I let out a scoff. That's it? How is that supposed to help?

Still, I'm curious to give it a try.

Central Park.

Taking a deep breath, I stand in front of the portal, letting out a surprised, dry laugh when it begins to emit a blue light as I focus on it.

Closing my eyes, I cross the portal, sighing in relief at the familiar sight.

It looks like Central Park alright. Now I just need to find him.

I look around until I spot a guy with raven black hair wearing a green shirt resting under a tree.

When he feels me next to him, he opens his eyes and grins.

"I see you figured it out." He says. "Looks like you're a natural."