[32] CATCHING UP

CATCHING UP

     With that I leave the best friends to catch up while I head to my room. Peggy's funeral was earlier today but the day is not over yet.

Being reunited with Bucky made Steve feel a little better, but I can tell he is still sad, and he has all the reasons to be.

Speaking of friends catching up, I haven't talked to my friend in a while.

Relaxing my shoulders, I rest my head on my pillow, looking up when a shadow in the corner of my eye gets my attention. Raising a brow, I slowly head towards it and open the window.

To my surprise, I see Peter losing his balance but I manage to grab one of his arms and pull him up.

When I pull him our faces are a few inches apart. "Hi." I say.

"Hi," he responds with a smile. "Can I come in?"

"Oh, sorry about that. Please, be my guest." I say, signaling for him to come in.

"So, this is what the inside of your room looks like." Peter says, looking around.

"Pretty much." I say, with a shrug. "Pretty ordinary isn't it?"

Peter smiles at that.

"You want to know what my favorite part of your room is?"

"Hmmm...I don't know, you tell me." I say, teasingly raising my brows.

"The decorations with those beautiful, really amazing pictures."

"I wonder who took them, he is an amazing photographer."

We look at each other before we burst out laughing.

"Thank you Peter, I really needed that."

"Why, what's wrong?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows, reaching for my arm when I look down with a sigh. "Come on, you can talk to me."

"It's complicated."

"Well, I have some time today so you're stuck with me. I'm not going anywhere." Peter says, sitting on my bed.

"What about the city?" I ask, pointing at the window.

"The city can wait a little." He says with a smile.

"Alright then, I'll take you up on that offer." I say, taking a seat next to him, putting my hands together.

"It's just been quite an eventful day." I begin, sighing as I lay on the bed. "There was a funeral earlier today and—"

Before I get to finish my sentence, Peter interrupts.

"Wait, the funeral for Agent Carter?" I nod slightly. "You knew her didn't you?"

"Yes." I say, the weight of the day finally catching up to me while tears gather in my eyes. "I'm sorry." I add, covering my face.

"Hey, hey, hey." Peter says softly, taking my hands away from my face. "It's okay, just let it out."

I look at him and sit up, wiping the tears from my eyes.

Offering a sympathetic smile, he gets closer and embraces me in a hug, while I cry on his shoulder and hug him back.

"Thank you for being here for me." I mutter. "I've being trying to look strong for Cap's sake, but it's hard."

"No problem." He says, making small circles on my back with his hands. "That's what friends are for."

We stay like this for a while until we hear sirens outside.

"Seems like you have to go." I say, breaking the hug.

"Unfortunately, but I'll be back later." Peter says, pressing our foreheads together, his glove covered hand coming up to wipe a few stray tears.

I only nod in response.

I lift my head to look at him but he shakes his head.

"We can wait a bit." He says, making no effort to move, but the sirens continue wailing in the distance.

"Peter?"

"Yeah?"

"The city needs you."

"Right." He says. "Do you mind if I change in your bathroom?"

"Go ahead. You can leave your stuff here if you want."

"Thank you."

In less than a minute, he comes out and starts running towards the window, stopping right before he jumps out.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm better now. Thank you Peter."

"Now go!"

"Alright, I'm going. Don't miss me too much." He adds, winking before he slips his mask on.

"Be careful!"

Giving me a salute, he jumps out. Smiling, I follow him all the way to the window and watch as he swings away.

Oh Peter, always busy saving the day. I think to myself, chuckling a bit.

While he is out saving the day, I decide to collect Peter's belongings and leave them in a safe place.

I feel much better now. I guess I hadn't realized just how stressed I've been and I just needed to let it out.

Before walking out of my room, I wash my face and look at the mirror to make sure that my eyes aren't puffy or red. If Steve sees me like this, I know he will get worried.

The two best friends are currently in the training room. They are so focused on their training that they don't see me coming.

After a while, they turn in my direction and notice me.

"When did you get here?" Steve asks.

"A while ago." I say, looking down while swinging my legs.

"How did you come in?" Bucky asks. "I didn't even hear you."

I respond with a shrug. "I just wanted to check on you guys. Is there anything you need?"

They shake their heads but I still handle them a bottle of water. I know that Steve is pouring out his emotions on his training, should give it a try?

As if reading my mind, Steve asks, "Wanna go a few rounds?"

"Hmmmm....no. I think I'm okay." I say but he doesn't buy it. "Maybe later. I'm actually a little tired, I'm going to head back upstairs."

"We'll be here for a while." Steve says, re-wrapping his hands.

It's better to give them some time, I can always come back later.

Besides, I could use some alone time after what happened earlier today.

I just hope that everything is okay with my friend.

[Feb 19, 2022]