[18] AGENT CARTER

AGENT CARTER

     The rest of the ride is silent until we reach Peggy's place

The rest of the ride is silent until we reach Peggy's place. Steve carefully parks his motorcycle and steps off, looking up at the building with a small sigh through his nose.

We briefly make eye contact and he offers a small smile, but I can tell that he is nervous, though he is trying his best to hide it.

The elevator ride is also silent as we both watch the floor numbers change until we reach our destination. To be honest, I'm nervous myself so I hope that everything goes smoothly.

"Just let me go in first to see how she's doing today." He says, softly knocking before opening the door.

A soft voice responds on the other side, Steve putting on his best smile as he goes in.

According to Steve, Peggy sometimes has good days, where she is able to recognize him immediately and bad days, when her mind is a little slower and stuck in a different place, usually back in the days before they were reunited.

While they talk, I wait outside her door, leaning my head back against the wall.

"Hi Peggy." Steve says, his tone soft as he sits next to her.

"Oh Steve," She says, "You came back. I'm so happy you came to visit."

I try not to eavesdrop on their conversation as they talk, but through the small opening of the door, I see Steve holding her hand, Peggy's free hand coming up to cup his cheek.

Steve smiles, but his eyes look sad. "You know I always make time for my special girl."

My heart hurts as he says it. After all this time he still cares about her so much. It would be nice if things were different.

Maybe this was a bad idea.

I'm about to step away when I hear Steve say, "There is someone that I want you to meet. A friend of mine."

"Oh?"

"You can come in now." He says, gesturing for me to come in.

With a nod, I take a deep breath and try my best to relax, quickly fixing my hair before wiping my hands on my dress, just in case.

"Hi." I say, slowly walking into the room.

"Come on in." Peggy says, watching with a small smile as I make my way over to her.

"What's your name darling?" She asks, taking my hand.

"Vanessa. Vanessa Lee." I say, trying my best to sound calm. "I have to say that it is an honor to meet you, Agent Carter."

"The pleasure is all mine." She says. "Please, call me Peggy."

"Oh, and I brought you these. Hope that's okay." I add, handing her the flowers.