Epilogue

EPILOGUE

What is a hero? The definition might vary depending on who you ask.

I thought I knew what a hero was, who my heroes were. But I was blind.

For days, I imagined what they were like, and then, like something straight out of a comic book, or more realistically, a dream, I met them.

In the most marvelous way of all, my heroes were no longer a dream.

They were right in front of my eyes. And now, I've even seen them in action.

Behind the cool costumes and the flashy backgrounds and action filled scenes, they are people.

People who decided to be something more when it came down to it. People who risk their lives for others without expecting anything in return.

In time, the heroes from fantasy became real.

They feel just like us.

They are human. Flesh and bone. Just like us.

They bleed and they fall but they always get back up.

They experience loss, even more than us but we don't see that behind closed doors.

Behind the shadow of a hero, hides a person who has sacrificed so much.

This is the reality of what heroes do.

What heroes are.

This is their reality. Their life.

This whole time I've watched from the sidelines, unable to help the people I care about most.

No more.

It's time I do my part.

But is this what I really want? Do I really have what it takes? I guess we'll find out.

One thing is for sure, I'll be satisfied just knowing that they are safe.

So just for a little longer, I'll stay.

[March 27, 2022]