[23] DANCE

DANCE

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ    It's Been a Long, Long Time – Harry James   0:01 ─●──────── 3:15       ◁          II          ▷

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ
It's Been a Long, Long Time – Harry James
0:01 ─●──────── 3:15
◁ II ▷

The next day, Steve and I meet outside Avengers tower early in the morning.

Everything has been planned out for the day.

First, I will go in and get Peggy ready for their dance.

Second, Steve will show up in his uniform and take her for a walk.

And third, the most special moment of the day.

Dinner and their dance.

"Morning Cap."

"Morning."

"Do you have everything you need?"

"I think so? My uniform is already packed and ready to go."

"Let's do this then."

The idea is to start preparing everything early on so Peggy can get some rest after. And if we time it right, perhaps they can have their dance as the sun sets in the horizon.

It takes a while to get to Peggy's place, especially since we have to make several stops along the way to get a few things.

Once we have everything we need, I knock on Peggy's door.

"Surprise!" I say, smiling as Peggy opens the door.

"What a lovely surprise. Come on in." I hear Peggy say.

"Good morning Ms. Carter. How are you feeling today?"

"You can call me Peggy darling, no need for formalities. And I'm doing well, thank you."

I make my way next to her and she grabs my hand.

"What brings you here darling?"

"I'm going to get you all dolled up for a surprise."

"Oh?" She chuckles. "Very well."

"Any preferences on what to wear?" I ask, looking through her dresses with her consent.

"Why don't you pick something for me? Surprise me."

"Okay."

My hands stop on the red dress Peggy wore back in the days of the war. I can't believe she still has it after all these years. Should we try this one or something else?

Peggy must have noticed because she says, "Grab the red dress."

Nodding, I grab it and bring it to her, but she shakes her head.

"Try it on." She says.

"What?" I ask, surprised, shaking my head at the thought. "I can't do that."

I know how much this dress means to Peggy and Steve.

"Do it for me, I want to see you wear it."

My breath is stuck in my throat as I slowly nod.

Do as Peggy says.

I guess. With a sigh I go into the bathroom and change into the dress. Then I walk out for Peggy to see.

"You look lovely." She says, smiling.

"Uh, Thank you."

"You can keep it."

"I can't do that Peggy." I say, adding in an attempt to convince her otherwise, "besides, it's a little big on me."

"Nonsense. I'm sure it can be fixed. You can take that one and whatever else you like."

"How about this, I'll keep the dress if you wear it tonight."

"Very well."

After changing back into my usual clothes, I help Peggy put on the dress and then I fix her hair and add a little bit of makeup.

Peggy is looking at herself in the mirror. "It's been ages since I've worn this dress."

"Are you ready for your surprise?" I ask, standing in front of the door. When Peggy nods, I smile.

"Okay. I'll be right back."

"Steve?" I call out into the hallway. "She is ready."

"Okay." He says, nervously glancing at the door. "How do I look?"

"Very handsome." I compliment, fixing his hair and tie a bit.

"You got this Captain."

"Thanks."

Coming back in, I open the door to reveal Steve in his uniform with a bouquet of roses.

"Oh my..." Peggy gasps, her hands coming up to lovingly cup his cheeks. "Steve? You haven't changed one bit."

Steve smiles sweetly but his eyes look sad, something that happens every time he visits her.

"I can't leave my best girl." He says. "Care to join me for a walk?"

"I would love that."

Steve and I exchange a brief nod before he walks out the door, leaving me to set up everything in the room.

However, as I'm about to set up, I notice the balcony outside, a smile creeping on my face as an idea comes to mind.

Instead of the room, I hang some lights on the balcony and set a table with a candle on the middle. Then I prepare the food and set it in its place. After that, I get the radio and put it in the corner.

Perfect. Everything looks good so far.

After looking at my work, I text Steve to bring Peggy in.

Minutes later, the door opens, Peggy slowly walking in with her eyes covered, being guided by Steve.

"Steve?" Peggy says, reaching to grab his hands. "What is going on?" He uncovers her eyes and offers a hand.

"You still owe me a dance."

"Oh Steve."

He signals to play the music and they start slow dancing, with Peggy resting her hand on his shoulder, both swaying from side to side.

I feel like I'm invading their privacy so I walk away, but before I leave I make sure to get a picture.

For a moment, he is back in time, back in the forties where his heart remained for a long time. Only this time, he finally got the dance he had longed for all this time.

It has indeed been a long, long time.

[Feb 07, 2022]

[Feb 07, 2022]