[29] THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

I sigh in relief when I see the tower in the distance.

Almost there.

Before the jet lands properly, I jump out, landing with a tuck and roll.

"Sorry Coulson, I really have to go."

"We had a few feet left for landing." He says, his mouth hanging slightly open in surprise.

"I know but it's an emergency. It can't wait."

"It seems like someone has been hanging out with Captain Rogers a little too much." He says, mostly to himself.

"Goodbye Agent Coulson." I say, waving before running inside. "Thanks for the ride!"

"You're welcome."

Inside, the team is gathered in silence in the common room, their faces pensive, each in their own little world.

"I came as soon as I could." I say, panting as I rest my hands on my knees.

"Good. It's a bit of a team emergency." Tony says, standing up. "This is very unlike him."

"See if you can get Rogers to talk to you and come out of his room. He's been locked in there for a day and he hasn't talked to anyone." Tony says, pressing the bridge of his nose.

"I'll go talk to him." I say, Tony giving me a grateful nod before closing his eyes.

As I'm about to step away, Natasha walks next to me, gently holding onto my forearm.

"How is he?" I ask.

"Not good. I tried talking to him but he has been keeping mostly to himself."

"I'll see what I can do." I say, taking in a deep breath before heading to his room.

If there is one person Steve is close to on the team, it's Natasha. I wonder why he hasn't told her.

I hesitate before knocking on his door, but after all, I came back to talk to Steve.

"Steve?" I call out, softly knocking on his door.

"It's me. Can I come in?"

When he doesn't answer, I add, "I'll be here until you are ready to talk."

There is no response.

Wait! I have an idea.

Rushing to my feet, I go back to my room and look through my notebooks and books.

Where did I put them? I need to find them.

One of my folders falls, the pictures I'm looking for slipping out.

Aha! Gotcha!

I pick them up and go back to Steve's room.

Let's try this again.

"Steve? Please open up?"

There is still nothing but silence.