[5] A STRANGE CAT

A STRANGE CAT

After their departure, I linger around the lounge for a bit longer before calling it a day.

The tower is surprisingly quiet, but the city that never sleeps isn't. It's really quite something to see.

Letting out a soft sigh, I let myself fall on the bed of my temporary room, closing my eyes as I shift onto my back.

The original plan was to try to get some sleep, but being in an unfamiliar place doesn't help. Not to mention that most of the team is away, so the tower feels extra empty without them.

Taking a quick glance at the clock, it reads midnight.

Why does the night feel endless? I think to myself, dragging my hands across my face before turning on my side.

I should really try to get some sleep.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Unable to sleep, I finally get up from my bed and head towards the window, admiring the city's twinkling lights down below.

It would be nice to be able to go for a walk around the city and get some fresh air, but it's still too early in the morning. Besides, I'm not familiar with the streets of New York yet and it is too dangerous to go out by myself.

An idea comes to mind.

What if I look for the portal?

I could just cross the portal and go back to my world, walk around for a bit and then come back.

But where is the portal?

It's hard to see it in the dark.

Walking around, I look around the tower until I see a flash of blue light out of the corner of my eye.

There it is!

Taking a deep breath, I cross it again, surprised when I'm back in my world.

I welcome the night breeze with open arms, letting out a pleased sigh as I walk around the familiar apartment complex. As I round the corner, a shadow stretching on the wall makes me stop in my tracks.

Much like before, something in me tells me to check it out, and by the time I know it, my feet are taking me towards the owner of the mysterious shadow.

Carefully, I tiptoe my way over, hiding behind the wall.

Where is the portal when you need it?

The mysterious figure is nowhere to be seen.

That's odd.

I wonder what it is, but at the same time I'm not sure about checking it out. You never know what you're going to find, but I know for sure that the shadow had a human shape. What if it's someone that needs help?

After debating for a while, I decide to check it out.

Okay. I'm doing this. But I should take something with me just in case.