Chaptrer 1: Welcome Home

It was a Wednesday afternoon. Not just any old Wednesday afternoon. It was the Wednesday that changed my life completely. The day my stepbrother moved in.  I wish someone could've told me that my life was going to drastically change that day. The day I met him.

I was sitting on the couch reading a book. It was one of those teen werewolf books. I was only reading it because my friend begged me to. I picked it up to shut her up. I wasn't really enjoying it but i promised that I'd read it. I knew she'd pop quiz me on it the next time I saw her. This time I'd be prepared.

"Honey please clean out that extra room for your stepbrother, he'll be here in one hour." My mom asked interrupting my thoughts.

I sighed. Why is everything changing so much around here? I never wanted a new stepfamily but no, my mom had to get engaged again. Don't get me wrong David is a nice guy. He has money, he's kind of good looking for his age and he's a very successful businessman owning one of the top video game company's in the world. My mom is lucky to have someone like him. Some would even say that she's hit the gold mine. he has it all. There is just one tiny problem...

He has a son.

Well, you're probably thinking what's so bad about that?

Well, David told me that his son's around my age 18 or 19 I don't remember and that he's a troublemaker.
I don't think my mom needs another hard-headed teenager around the house. She already has to deal with me. Not that I'm bad or anything I'm just very needy and kinda lazy and that's a lot on a parent. I just don't want her to be stressed out over some boy that she didn't give birth to.

I went upstairs and finished tidying up the spare bedroom. I made the bed and dusted the lamp. I fluffed the pillows and placed the neatly on the be from biggest to smallest. I stood back and admired my work. I hope he likes it, if not then that's his problem. I dusted my hands together and shut the door. I walk downstairs into the kitchen to find my mom cooking a pot of beef stew.

"Hey, mom, what's up?"

She was startled by my approach but soon realized it was just me. "Oh, I'm just cooking dinner before your da... I mean David gets back with Harry from the train station." She explained. She blushed, feeling embarrassed about the mistake she almost made.

I nodded  awkwardly and looked around the kitchen. My mom knows that I'm not quite comfortable with the whole step farther thing yet. I'm glad she doesn't push me into calling him, dad. My real dad died two years ago so it's still a touchy subject for me.

"Do You think that he'll like my cooking?" She asked.

"Who, David? He, loves your cooking." I replied.

"No, his Son Harry." He said. She looked at me with hope and desperation in her eyes, awaiting my response.

"Uh yeah, sure mom don't be worried he'll love it," I said.

She let out a sigh. "I hope so honey because, this is my signature recipe. It was passed down for generations." She stated proudly.

I hate to see my mom try so hard just for someone who might not appreciate it. Then again, who am I to say this? Harry might not be as bad as David describes him to be. After all, everyone deserves a chance, right? I hear the front door open

"Honey we're back," David called as he walked into the house.

My mom walked up to David and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Where's Harry?" She asked.

"Oh, he's just getting his things out of the car," David said.

Soon, I see a tall figure appear in the doorway holding what looks like twenty bags on his shoulders like a 1960s bellboy. He had a mop of unruly curly brown hair covering his face. He dropped the bags to the ground and swept his hair out of his face with his hand.

He was gorgeous.

He had these emerald green eyes that you could get lost in for hours and dimples the size of canons peaking through his cheeks as he smiled. Oh and don't even get me started on that soft, brown, curly hair. I just want to run my hands through it. I didn't realize I was starring for so long. His smile soon faded as his eyes landed on me like I've done something wrong.

"Take a photo. It'd probably last you a lot longer." He scoffed.

I was taken aback by his gesture. I couldn't move or speak. "Hello, are you just gonna stand there and look at me or move out of my way?" He said.

I just stood there starting. Why couldn't I move or say anything? What's wrong with me? Why was he being so rude to me?

"Anna dear stop starring its rude honey." My mother whispered.

I broke out of my frozen state. "I umm...... Sorry." I stuttered. I quickly moved aside and looked down at the floor.

"Why does he always have to choose the weird ones?" He mumbled.

Excuse me?

"Harry that is no way to talk to your stepsister." David scolds

"She's not my sister and I don't want to be here!" Harry said.

I could see David growing angry with Harry. "Go upstairs now!" David shouted.

Harry yanked his bags up as if they were loaves of bread and stomped up the stairs with a loud thud followed by slamming the guest bedroom door. The sound echoed through the house. We stood at the bottom of the stairs in silence. David apologized about Harry's behavior. He said that he misses his mom and it would take him some time to get used to us. To be honest I don't care if he never talks to me again. That's no excuse to treat us the way that he did. He's lucky if we ever talk to him after that stunt that he just pulled.

I'm gonna stay out of his way and hopefully he stays out of mine.