Chapter 61: Lunch

Anna P.O.V

It was time for lunch. I didn't exactly know where or who I was going to sit with. Nina isn't at school today and even if she was she'd probably ignore me. 

I could find Harry but for some reason, I feel like just because we had our little moment in the car doesn't mean that he wants to sit with me. We have to keep everything as normal as possible. That means acting like we don't exist to one another. 

I guess I could sit with Niall and Kayla but I don't feel like being bombarded with all of their questions. I guess it's better that I sit alone anyway.

I grabbed my lunch tray and proceeded to the lunch line, today's special is Italian meatballs or "Meatball Monday". I've always been a fan of Italian food. As soon as I was about to grab an apple a hand quickly reached for it, picking it up before I could.

"Hey, that was mine!" I looked up to see none other than Harry and his crooked grin smiling down at me. 

"Snooze, you lose." he chuckled. 

I rolled my eyes and snatched the apple away from his hands and placed it on my tray. I slide my tray down the line and brushed Harry off to the side.

"You'd rather eat this... Lunchroom crap than go someplace where they sell real food?" He stated in disbelief while eyeing the food as if it was contaminated. Miss Maggie the lunch lady glared at him. He gave her a fake small smile and followed me down the lunch line. 

"It seems fine to me. Besides, it's not like I have anything else to eat."

"Well, we could always ditch this place and go eat somewhere else..." Harry implied. I looked behind me to look at his face just to see if he was serious.

"You've only been here for half a day and now you already want to leave. Why can't we just stay here?" I questioned.

"Look, I was just offering for you to eat somewhere else. I can leave anytime I want to."

"Well, why don't you?" I asked.

Miss Maggie placed two spoons full of meatballs and red tomato sauce into the tiny bowl on my tray. I smiled and thanked her.

"I said anytime I want." He remarked.

I rolled my eyes and continue down the line to the cash register. "What drink do you want?" Miss Angie the second lunch lady asked.

"Blue Gatorade please." I requested. She reached into the fridge behind her and handed me the cool blue beverage.

"That will be $4.50," she said. 

I started to reach in my bag but Harry handed her a five-dollar bill before I could get my money out.

"You didn't have to do that," I said. 

He just shrugged. I told Miss Angie to have a nice day and picked up my lunch tray. I walked through the lunchroom scouting for a place to sit. Harry followed closely behind. None of my options looked good.

We were walking by the senior table. Ashley looked at me with a disgusted look on her face. Sat next to her was Louis. I kept walking, not daring to make eye contact with him.

"Harry, come sit with us," Ashely said.  I heard Harry groan behind me but he kept walking.

"What, you're too good to sit with us now?" I heard Louis speak up. 

I turned around to look at Harry to see what he would do. Harry stopped walking. He looked like he was holding back what he was about to say. I could visibly see his jaw clench and his hands fisted by his side. I was preparing for the worst.

Harry placed his hand on my back and guided me in the other direction. I was shocked. The fact that Harry was mature enough to walk away from Louis's comment and the fact that he placed his hand on my back in front of everyone.

I decided that it'd be best for us to eat outside. I don't understand how Harry wound up sitting with me today in the first place. Like he said he could leave anytime he wanted to. All of the tables outside were taken so I decided to sit under the big oak tree. I sat down with my legs cross crossed and placed my tray on my lap. Harry sat down in front of me.

I looked at him. "Are you okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He mumbles.

"Because of what happened back there-"

"Just drop it." He said dismissing the conversation before it even started. 

I knew that it was best that I didn't talk about it. I'm just glad that he didn't blow up and cause a scene like he usually does. I looked at him to see his hands empty-handed. I didn't even realize that he didn't have anything to eat. 

"Harry aren't you hungry? What are you going to eat for lunch?"

"I'm fine," he said.

"Are you sure? That's not good for your health."

"I'm fine," he said once again in a stern voice.

I decided to eat my lunch and not ask him any more questions. While I ate Harry sat scrolling on his phone. 

Soon lunch was over and it was time to head back to class. The bell rang and I grabbed my things. Harry took my lunch tray from my hand and walked it over to the trash can. I looked at him with a confused face.

"You're being weirdly different today," I commented. He shrugged. 

"How am I being different?"

"You're just doing all of these unexpected things. I don't know, It's just catching me off guard that's all."

He scoffed. "That's your problem. You're quick to have expectations about me without actually knowing my intentions."

I didn't say anything after he stated this. Harry is confusing. Sometimes he's the literal devil and then other times he's sweet and generous. I honestly gave up on keeping up with his mood swings anyway.

"Come on, let's go to class. The day is almost over, thank goodness!" I said.

"Yeah, I forgot how much literal torture high school can be," Harry said.

I laughed at his annoyance about being here. I'm glad that he's deciding to get back into the swing of things. School could be good for him right now. Well... aside from the Louis issue.

"Meet me at the car when you get out. I mean it, Anna. You better not get in the car with Zayn."He demanded.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes sir," I said sarcastically.

he looked at me with a stern look.

"What? I said I would." I sassed while rolling my eyes.

He shook his head and walked away.

I turned around and we headed our separate ways.

A/N

Guys, I'm really trying here lol.

It took me soo freaking long to finish this update. I hope you guys like it. I'm starting the next chapter as we speak.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.

I love Harry's new song "lights up" the music video is amazing.

Update hopefully coming soon.

Xoxo- Anna