Chapter 45: Silence

Harry and I sat in the field for at least thirty minutes until it started to get pretty late. That's when I decided that it would be best for us to head home.

I helped Harry up to his feet, despite me being the one with the broken foot. On our way back to the car Harry and I didn't exchange any words. I didn't expect him to start talking and being himself after the events that just occurred. I think it's better for us to stay silent.

We finally got down the hill and into view of the parking lot. Zayn's car was still there waiting for us.

I was very grateful for Zayn. I knew that he was just as tired as I was, if not even more. It was no secret that Harry was exhausted. I could tell by the dark circles under his eyes and his drained features. The way he dragged his feet through the leaves and his slumped shoulders. It made me want to comfort him and tell him that everything would be okay.

When we approached the car I looked through the window to find Zayn leaning back, sleeping with his foot propped up on the dashboard. I tapped lightly on the window. He jumped up with wide eyes looking around then calmed down when he realized it was just us. He unlocked the doors and adjusted his seat back so that he could drive.

Harry and I opened the doors and got in. I sat in the back with Harry just so I could keep a close eye on him. Zayn started the car and we pulled off so that we could go home. The drive was silent. The tension was thick. Zayn would glance at me through the mirror giving me a look as if he was asking if everything was okay. I nodded reassuringly.

I averted my eyes to Harry and studied his face. He was staring down at his hands in his lap. He would twist the ring around his index finger and his brows would furrow like he was in deep thought about something. He had a deep frown on his face. I wanted so badly to make it go away.

I noticed a scar above his forehead when he'd push his hair back. Where did that come from?

I know he felt my eyes on him because he'd look over at me and I quickly looked away as if I wasn't looking. The silence and the tension in this car was killing me. I decided to break it.

"Zayn, can you please turn on the radio?" I asked.

He looked at me through the mirror and then reached out to turn up the volume. A random R&B song started to play. I don't know the name of it but I guess it will do for now. Anything to ease this uneasy feeling.

The rest of the car ride was silent. Nobody said a word. I was way too on edge to talk to Harry. Maybe it would be best to let him cool off before I interrogate him. It's just that my mind was burning with questions.

What happened back there?

Where did that scar come from?

Were you really going to take your life away?

How long have you felt that way?

Are you okay?

I'm really worried about Harry. Even though he may have done some things to hurt me he's still important to me if not anyone else. I know Zayn cares about him. My mom does too. David too, even though he has a poor way of showing it. If Harry left this world today I know it'd affect David in some way. He's still his father.

Right?

We finally pulled up to the familiar Street of our neighborhood. I was so relieved to finally get home and have Harry home safely with me. Even if he didn't think he belonged here I did. After all, this was originally me and my mother's house and if David didn't want him here I did and that's what matters.

Zayn pulled up in our driveway and put the car in park. I didn't even get the chance to open my door before Harry jumped out, slamming the door and rushing into the house. I turned to look at Zayn through the mirror. "Thank you," I said. 

"You don't have to thank me." He said.

"Well, I'm saying thank you for him," I said.

"I did this for you not him and because I know you'd worry yourself to death about him." I looked down. "Well, thank you anyway," I said.

"What is it about him? Why do you care so much?" He questioned.

I started to get out of the car. "Zayn pl-"

"Why him?" He questioned.

"Zayn you don't understand."

"Make me understand." He demanded.

"How can I make you understand something I don't even understand myself?" I yelled.
The car grew silent.

I sighed. "Look Zayn you're a really sweet guy but, I just don't see you in that way."

He huffed. "Yeah okay, but you see him that way right? Your stepbrother huh? He's no good for you, Anna. He's only going to hurt you. Why can't you get that?"

"Zayn, I should go," I stated.

"Anna I'd do anything for you. You should know that by now. Why won't you give me half a chance? I like you okay? I'm not the one who's using you. I'm not the one hurting you and tearing you down. You have a broken foot because of him for fuck's sake!"

I could see the hurt in zayn's eyes. He just poured out his soul to me but I just couldn't.

"I'm sorry Zayn I just... I can't." I said.

I quickly got out of the car rushing into the house. I didn't look back. I couldn't look back. I'm sorry for turning Zayn down but I couldn't fully commit to someone if I had feelings for someone else.

If I had feelings for my own stepbrother.

A/n

Damn Zayn is back at it again with the feels (I'm so lame)

Plot twist Anna secretly has a thing for Louis. No, I'm kidding that would never happen.

...... Or would it??? dun, dun duunn! ( okay I seriously need to stop)

Hanna or Zanna??

Update Tuesdays and Thursdays now cause I just rly want to finish the book. March 30th would be "stepbrothers 1 year anniversary!!! Yayyy

Thanks for the reads!

Xoxo- Anna