Chapter 14: Thank You

I walked over to the passenger side and quickly slid inside of the car. My clothes were drenched from previously running in the rain.

Harry didn't say a word and put the car back into drive and focused on the road. I found myself picking at my fingernails, a habit I formed only when I was nervous. I could feel the tension between Harry and I.

Harry broke the silence. "What were you thinking?"

I didn't answer.

"You know Carine and I were worried sick about you. Why would you run off like that?" He asked.

"Why do you care?" I scoffed.

He stared blankly at the road. "Because I don't want you to... get hurt."

"Oh really? Because so far, you were the one who put me in a situation where I could get hurt!" I spat.

His jaw tensed. "You know what? All I was trying to do is help you! I helped you skip school because I knew you needed a break. I helped you sneak out so you could live and be free for once. I kissed you so you could-"

"Could what?" I dared.

He shook his head. "Just... say thank you. That's all I ask. A simple thank you would be nice."

"Thank you for being nothing but trouble and ruining my life." I spat.

He banged his hand on the steering wheel, making me jump. "You know what? I shouldn't have come to get you! I shouldn't have gotten involved with this fucked up family in the first place! Especially you!"

My heart sunk as his words hit me like sharp knives stabbing me repeatedly. He noticed my face fall and his features softened. "Anna I didn't mean that I-"

"I hate you, Harry. I wish you never came into my life either." I spat.

He pulled over on the side of the road. "Anna, please...I just ...I'm sorry."

I kept my eyes gazing out the window. Tears threatened to fall. I didn't want to cry. I don't want Harry to see how his words affected me. I didn't want to show Harry how weak I was.

He pulled my chin to look at him. "Look I'm sorry... I just didn't know what to say and I let my anger get the best of me." He apologized.

I avoided eye contact, trying not to look into them because I knew if I did I would easily give in to him.

He stared at me for a brief moment before crashing his lips onto mine.

I was alarmed at first but I gave in and melted into the kiss. This kiss was different from the first time Harry kissed me. This one was full of passion and desire. It was soft, warm, welcoming, and tender. The other kiss was full of lust and hunger.

Our lips moved together in sync. His hands pulled me closer by my neck. I wanted to stay like this forever.

He finally pulled away and rested his forehead against mine, slightly brushing his nose against mine. "Harry I -"

"Shhh! don't talk. I'm sorry about the way I was acting. I was being a total jerk. I wanted you to stay away from me because I didn't want to drag you along with me in the bad life that I live."

"Harry I don't care if you were a bank robber, cat stealer, and drug dealer. I still want to be around you because you excite me and take me on new adventures. You make me feel alive." I said.

He grinned. "Cat stealer?"

I laughed. "I'm just trying to prove a point, Harry."

He pulled away and started the car back up. the car started to drive again.

"Hey, I want to take you somewhere."

I eyed him suspiciously. He laughed. "No nothing like last night, I swear."

"Well, where are you taking me?" I asked.

"It's a surprise." He stated.

I leaned back in the seat.  I remembered that I was still soaked from the rain. "Harry, I need dry clothes."

"Oh right! Sorry." 

He reached into the back seat with one hand still on the wheel. He retrieved a black bookbag and handed it to me. I unzipped it and looked inside to find my dark wash jeans, and a black T-shirt paired with some brown sandals.

"You picked this out?" I asked.

He grinned. "Yes, I did. I might not be the most fashionable but I do know what looks civilized on girls."

I rolled my eyes. "How did you know that I was going to need extra clothes?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, I guess because it was raining when I went to go and find you."

"Uh, where am I going to change?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "In here, I guess." 

My eyes widened. "I'm not changing in front of you!" I shrieked.

He chuckled. "I swear I won't look."

I looked at him cautiously. "You promise?" 

He nodded. "You have my word."

I hesitantly removed my wet shirt. still looking straight ahead He handed me a towel. "Here, use this to sit on when you change your pants so, you won't have to sit on the wet seat.

I finished changing. Surprisingly Harry kept his eyes on the road not looking over at me once.

"Harry?" He hummed in response. "I just want to say thank you."

"Oh the clothes weren't a problem and I wasn't doing anything so I picked-"

"No I meant to thank you for everything," I said.

He smiled. "You're welcome."