CHAPTER 57

I had spent the whole day trying to make sense of the information I came across.

My great grandfather and Enzo's grandfather were best friends, they were part of a small group called the Veiled hands that run the world and its wealth, basically the real superpowers. I have an uncle whom my mom hasn't seen since she turned eight, who's currently part of the veiled hands. My mother and father are assassins who trained us from birth to be the same, for self defense against who knows what. And a cryptic book that the world's superpowers are in desperate search of, a book that my great grandfather predicted that only I could find. Then my blood... What blood do I carry?

A knock brought me out of my thoughts and my older brother stood by the door.

"Can we talk? Please?" He asked with a lot of caution.

"I am mentally exhausted. If we can skip the heart to heart talk and get to the apologies then that would be deeply appreciated" I dived in.

"I'm sorry, I overreacted" I sighed.

"I'm sorry too" he replied softly. "It's almost time for the count down... would you like to join us?"

"Yeah... I'll be there in a minute" I smiled and he left out without another word. He's walking on eggshells around me.

It took minutes to mentally prepare myself for social interaction. I begrudgingly followed the maid to a lovely rooftop garden, it was decorated with fairy lights and the air was filled with soft classical music. They stood in small groups and soft chatter filled the open space.

"Rae!" My mum stumbled over and crushed me in a bear hug, it was obvious that she was drunk and my dad who rushed after her was babysitting.

"That's enough wine for you ma" I chuckled and her face lit up. She began to ramble about how exquisite and rare the red wine she had was, while my dad pried her off of me, literally. My mother had two weaknesses, family and wine.

"I'm glad you could join us" The Heika smiled which I gladly returned.

"Rae!" Jiro sobbed dramatically as he waltzed over with wailing hands.

"Rae-Chan! You're not still mad at us are you?" He hysterically cried out which made me roll my eyes. He might just be the inspiration behind Zenitsu.

"Can you actually be any less graceful?" I question with squinted eyes and he was evidently shocked by my stiff tone.  He got the message that I was not in the mood.

"You wound me Raelynn" he replied solemnly.

"Move" I pushed him aside and walked over to the buffet table. My feet unconsciously take me to food. I could feel everyone's eyes peering into my back and I felt all levels of uncomfortable. This is either a bad case of deja vous or history is somehow repeating itself.

I picked up a few snacks while eyeing the bartender serving Vlad vodka. I could use a little bit of that. It's a hard life to be depressed and not be able to get intoxicated just a little bit.

"The maids brought a more comfortable chair" Vlad pointed to a single sofa at the corner of the deck.

"Thanks" I replied simply and sat on the bar stool beside him.

"You are making it impossible to please you" he deadpanned.

"Let me be" I inwardly groan, not ready to receive another lecture from him.

"I'm genuinely curious about why you're so irritated"

"Do you need the list or just the top three?" I asked sarcastically.

"No. I just want the current reason" he turned to me and stared me dead in the eyes.

"The list then..." I raised a brow.