CHAPTER 37

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Click... I reloaded

BANG!

"Aagggghhhhhh!!!!" I screamed at the top of my voice as I pulled the trigger non stop.

I never knew what it meant to be emotionally numb till today. I thought it meant behaving indifferent towards every situation no matter what you felt, but I guess I was wrong. Protecting the most important thing in my life at this moment super-cedes any kind of unnecessary emotion.

I picked up another gun and loaded it, my breath ragged from being completely exhausted.

"Don't push your self" his voice came from the door and without a second thought I didn't waste a flick to point the gun at him and..

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I shot straight at him until I emptied the gun but he dodged each bullet with his speed, he has fast reflexes as expected of the king. I don't want to kill him yet but at least injure him severely. Enzo looked at the bullet holes in the wall and turned to me completely flabbergasted, the shock in his eyes let me know he didn't expect me to do that. I turned to carry another gun but he got to me before I even dropped the empty gun. He pushed me against the wall, holding my hands tightly above my head with the other around my waist, he still seemed to be in a state of shock.

"Wh-why?..." he whispered, confusion evident in his eyes and words.

"Let me go" I couldn't be bothered

"Rae please snap out of it" his eyes held clear concern.

"I said fucking let me go!! You fucking child murderer! Let me go! I'll kill you, I promise you'll die by my hands!!! Let me go!" I screamed and thrashed around, I even tried to knee him in the balls but he blocked it with his left hand.

"DON'T ACT SO SURPRISED THAT I WANT TO KILL YOU" his hold on my hands got tighter to a painful point but I didn't care, he brought them down and held me in a tight hug

"I FUCKING WANT YOU DEAD FOR JUST THINKING ABOUT TOUCHING MY BABY!!" I screamed till my throat burned.

"YOU'RE A MONSTER! YOU ARE WORSE THAN A MONSTER!" I yelled some more and   the lump in my throat grew, then like someone popped a balloon the emotions bursted out.

"Don't touch my baby" my voice broke and his hold got tighter "you took everything from me" my body started shaking "don't take the one hope I've gotten in a long time" I grabbed his shirt, tears rolled down from my cheeks to chest. "Don't take the most important thing in my life, can't you just let me have this one thing" I cried, my heart ached, the lump in my throat only grew bigger. It felt like my world had burned into ashes. It's either I live or my child lives and I've chosen that my baby is more important to me than myself, which means in a few months... I'll be dead.

"Rae.." Enzo called softly, his chin atop my head and his right hand holding it. "Whatever your decision is, I'll respect it" he said with a crack in his voice.

"I am selfish, I just want you. It's you and it always will be you. I don't want anything to hurt our baby, but as much as I love my baby I love you Rae. And I've never felt so helpless because I can't have you both, I don't want to say goodbye to either one of you. I don't want to choose" I could hear him swallow, like he was trying to gulp down a lump in his throat just like I am.

Now that I think about it, it's actually hard on Enzo a bit more than it is on me cause I'm already willing to die for my child, I want my child to live. But, Enzo has to lose either his wife or his baby, if I were to put myself in his shoes I might've gone mad. Though he was wrong to want to get rid of his own child first, but I understand why he would want to do that.

"I want our baby to live Enzo. I know the risks and I am willing to take them. This isn't your choice, it's mine so you won't have any regrets"

"I don't want to lose my world" he hugged me with so much desperation like he wanted to merge us into one.

"I don't want to let you go" he whispered so painfully and It felt like someone crushed my heart.

"How am I supposed to live without you? I won't get to see your smile again, or hear your laughter. Who will hold me when I've had a horrible day? Who'll curse me out for being cold? Who will eat all the pancakes in the house?" He said and I laughed.

"Our baby will" I whispered to him.

"If only I could take your place, you'll get to live instead of me" He said with utmost sincerity and my heart stopped.

"Enzo? Promise me you'll take care of our baby, that you'll treat our baby better than you've ever treated me or anyone else and you'll love our baby unconditionally" he remained silent as if letting my words sink in

"Promise me"

"I promise" he kissed the top of my head.

.

.

.

.

.
After my conversation with Enzo we went back to the living room where everyone sat quietly with a depressing air like someone had just died. Enzo held me beside him tightly like If he'd let go I'll disappear into thin air. Mr and Mrs Dark stood staring at me with a poker face, I couldn't decipher what they were thinking. I gave them a small smile because I didn't have the energy to squeak out a word, neither did I have the energy to deal with Enzo's father and his never ending statement of "she's human".

"Your highness" Dr Maxwell greeted cautiously. "I have a few drugs that will help you keep your energy levels up, but I'm afraid its effects only lasts temporarily. In simple terms, the drug will deceive your body, rather your mind into thinking you're fine when that's not the case, you won't feel very ill but nothing will change in your body, you would... still be withering away as time goes by" he sighed. I couldn't reply, I just gave him a nod.

"You can explain to Lisa about the drugs; the dosage and time to take them" Enzo dismissed him and all that could be heard was the tapping sound of the doctor's shoes on the tiled floor leaving the room. A few minutes of silence went by...

"Well that's a load of bullshit" Omero said and stood up.

"Omero..." Mr Dark called out warningly.

"Wait you all expect me to believe that Rae will die in a couple of months?" He asked furiously.

"You expect me to just accept it?!" He began to yell. "So y'all have just accepted it without looking for solutions elsewhere?! You've just accepted that she's a walking corpse?! BULLSHIT!"

"Omero!" Xavier yelled shutting him up but Omero pushed Xavier out of the way and stormed out. Dan sighed with silent anger and left the room too, the tension was too much for me to handle.

"I want to sleep" I whispered to Enzo and he didn't waste time in picking me up bridal style and heading towards our bedroom.

Lisa gave me the drugs that Doctor Maxwell prescribed. I am ready to forget today ever happened, when I wake up I will live my life like I've always had but I'll appreciate everything even more and cherish the remaining time I have with Enzo and everyone else.

"Hey Enzo?"

"Hm?" He hummed in reply

"Come sleep with me" I opened my hand to welcome in bed and he smiled laying next to me. I laid my head on his chest, I could hear the steady rhythmic beat of his heart. His warmth and scent were like painkillers that I've craved like an addict, no matter how much I hate to admit it, here with him in his arms, this is home. And even if he is a crazed bastard.

I love him.

"Sleep tight my baby" he whispered