ONE , and so it begins

RULE NUMBER ONE

RULE NUMBER ONE. Don't talk about karate around Dylan Oakes unless you wanted a one way trip out of the Earth's atmosphere. She couldn't stand it.

RULE NUMBER TWO. Don't talk about Dylan's mom — she's in prison still for drugs but that's besides the point. Only Dylan can talk about Mrs. Oakes.

RULE NUMBER THREE. If your name is Miguel Diaz then you need to stop knocking on Dylan Oakes' apartment door whenever you need something. Which, according to the list she made, was so far eleven times within the last two weeks. Furthermore, that means that you suck, and next time Dylan Oakes sees you, she'll steal all of your homework and never give it back. And proceed to cheat off of it because everyone knew that while Dylan Oakes was exceptional in her AP English class, she was god awful at basically anything else.

In more simple terms . . .

"MIGUEL DIAZ, I'm coming for you!" Dylan took off down the stairs after the boy that had proceeded to steal back his homework from her dingy kitchen. In all honesty, she wasn't sure why she still opened the door at all whenever there was a knock.

Rarely was it ever someone important. It was always the boy next door who would come knocking whenever he needed bandages, neosporin, or antiseptics he could fix his bruises and cuts with. Dylan had a habit of keeping that stuff around. You could never be too careful — that and Demetri demanded she always kept those things around in case of an emergency.

Miguel was already down and out the stairs well before she got to the bottom when she realized it wasn't worth it.

She slammed the door behind her, most likely scaring the neighborhood strays that lurked around in the bushes.

The first time Miguel Diaz had come to her was right before the All Valley Under 18 Tournament when he smashed up the side of his face practicing by himself. Unable to go home and worry his mom, and definitely unable to tell Johnny about it so he could reprimand his karate star before the tournament came, he knocked on the door of the only person he knew besides his mother and his sensei.

Dylan slammed the door in his face before he could even get in a simple hello.

Truthfully, he still didn't know why she had such a hatred for karate, but it was plausible to assume that violence wasn't in Dylan's playbook. Her mom was in jail and her dad was killed in Afghanistan. That was a good enough reason for anything.

He knocked against the door repeatedly and when the girl finally opened it up again, with a disinterested look on her face, he sighed.

"You look like you got hit by a tennis racket." She looked him up and down in disinterest. "Seriously, dude, who slammed a heated waffle iron into your face. I wanna thank them."