SEVENTEEN , battle of the neighbors

"WHAT THE HELL DO you think you're doing?" Dylan demanded, lurching forward in the wheelchair as Johnny ran the wheel's over a crack in the tile as they reached the elevator

"Hold on this might hurt a bit," Johnny said quietly, ignoring her as she tried to turn in her seat to face him. "No, I'm serious. If you go flying out of this thing and grind up your face like ground beef again I'm not being held responsible."

Dylan sat back with a sigh, complaining under her breath. She lurched forward as he wheeled her inside. He pressed the button to the first floor, and the trip down from the third was made in stark silence.

"Why are you doing this for me?" The question was so honest that Johnny struggled to comprehend why she was so serious about it.

"Jesus, kid, you think I wouldn't help my best student's friend out of a bad spot?" He laughed lowly. She didn't say anything in return, and his easy-going grin fell. "What—you're serious?" He looked at her as the elevator doors opened.

"Yeah. You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. What makes you go out of your way to do something like that? That was batshit, what you did!"

Dylan tried to comprehend why someone was so willing to do something as crazy — and illegal — as that. It wasn't that she didn't understand that friends did things for each other. She'd stood up for Demetri and Eli when Kyler wanted to make life hell for them with his goons. She defended Tory in front of Sam, she'd help Aisha was a situation with Yasmine last year, and she'd been helping Miguel for months with his own problems. That wasn't the issue that was so hard to wrap her mind around.

It was the fact that a man she barely knew understood that she needed help, even after all she'd been was distrusting, and decided to do something about it.

"I know you well enough," He answered. It was vague, and Dylan side eyed the rest of the hospital. There weren't as many people in the waiting room anymore, except for a few parents who had bags under their eyes, struck with worry and frustration. "You think I haven't noticed a couple things?"

"Like what?" She said defensively. "You never liked me before."

"You never liked me before," He defended his previous arguments with the girl that had proved time and time again to be a pain in his ass. She was the gift that never stopped giving in that regard. "Kid, I know your guardians don't don't give a shit about you," He said bluntly.

"Way to rip the bandaid right off, Lawrence," She grumbled, folding her arms across her chest.

"Better to get it out of the way. But you don't need me to tell you that." He looked around the hospital as he wheeled her around. He threw a visitors pass at the front desk, landing it in the basket and scaring the receptionist. She scowled at him and she knew he was rolling his eyes. "I don't know your cracked out extended family or anything, but I do know that your legal guardian has been M.I.A. for a good two years now. I'm not a damn idiot, Oakes."