NINE , the wildcard

"HEY DYLAN, I GOT your number from Hawk

"HEY DYLAN, I GOT your number from Hawk. Listen, I don't know how I feel about Kreese anymore. I don't really think he's so bad, to be honest. I just think he's . . . " Dylan's eyebrows furrowed as she listened to Miguel's voice message. "I just think he's been through a lot. Sensei Lawrence told me that. I know you don't like him, but . . . " Miguel trailed off again as Dylan listened to the bullshit he was saying. "I don't know. I don't know how to feel. Call me ba—"

She paused it and immediately pressed the call next to the number she had yet to make a contact for.

"Hello? Dylan?" His muffled voice came through her speaker. She set her phone on the dresser as she continued to fix her leggings and the sleeves to her long-sleeve athletic top.

"What's this about Kreese being 'Not that bad,' Diaz?" She tightened her shoe laces in anger.

"I guess he was in the war or something. It gave him ptsd. It's probably why he lashed out on Demetri," He said nonchalantly. She could hear the part of his voice that wanted her to understand that his other Sensei wasn't that bad.

"So that gives him a free ride when it comes to assaulting teenagers? Demetri could probably press charges if he wanted to, Miguel."

"I'm not saying it was okay, I'm just saying to listen to how it all sounds. Give him a break Dylan. I heard him talking to you when you confronted him and he didn't do anything bad then," He defended. "He's helping us get better. We're stronger than ever before."

She thought back to how Daniel LaRusso described Cobra Kai. They certainly all felt like they were at the top of the food chain. They felt powerful.

"Are you really? One day you're gonna get too prideful and it's gonna cost you. Honest to god, Miguel."

"You're really not gonna give him a chance then?" He seemed upset. "I'm not saying he's all good, okay? I'm just saying he's not all bad either. Johnny likes him."

"Johnny likes shitty beer too," She teased in annoyance. "Is this all you were gonna talk to me about? Because otherwise I have to go. I haven't practiced my punches all week because of this karate shit," She complained to the boy on the other end, rolling back her shoulders.

"I forgot you box." There was a pause on the other end and she heard rustling in his room. "Wait, Dylan, before you go, I have a proposition for you."

"Really, Diaz? This is how this is gonna go?"

"This is how it's gonna go," He confirmed. She thought she heard him smile. "Sensei Kreese wants us to go for extra training today at Coyote Creek. Something about new training exercises?"

"Yeah, seems like heaven." He heard her sarcasm and he laughed at it.

"I'm serious Dylan . . . you should come with. It would give you a chance to see what things are really like, you know?"