EIGHTEEN , meet the family

IT WAS CLEAR THAT the guilt was eating away at Johnny, the second he brought her home with a rather sincere goodbye, and even a fist bump

IT WAS CLEAR THAT the guilt was eating away at Johnny, the second he brought her home with a rather sincere goodbye, and even a fist bump. Sometimes Dylan forgot how close he had been with Miguel. Her friendship with the boy wasn't the only thing on the line. Johnny's father-son relationship with the boy might come to a close as well, if her friend couldn't pull through.

It wasn't something she wanted to think about.

"Alright kid, I'm gonna pick you up tomorrow, and it's going to be great," Johnny said, animatedly talking to Dylan as he tried to suppress the memories of Miguel's current state of affairs. "Maybe you don't care that you're a complete and total loser, but I do." He thought for a moment, and Dylan didn't have the heart to roll her eyes again. "You learned to drive yet?"

"No!" She shook her head vigorously at his question.

"No, you don't know how? Or no, you won't let me teach you?"

"No in general!" Dylan exclaimed with a frown. There was no way that she was going to let Johnny Lawrence, a well known reckless driver and alcoholic that had repeatedly wound up bringing his car in to be fixed because of it teach her the subtle art of driving in sketchy neighborhoods.

"See, I thought you were going to be fun, especially because that's what our boy Miguel said, but clearly he has a skewed definition of the word," He pointed at her like it was a fact. "We're gonna work on that with him to, once he gets out of course."

Dylan's expression fell at his final statement.

"You think he's gonna pull through?" She asked the older man softly. If there was one thing they could talk about long enough without insulting each other, it was the topic of Miguel Diaz.

"He has to, kid. He really has to," Johnny replied, a far off look on his face. He had dark circles under his eyes, and it was clear he had no plans to shave the beginnings of his beard, at least until the boy was up and safe.

Dylan said goodbye, her spirits simultaneously lifting and plummeting interchangeably, and walked back to the apartment she hadn't so much as been inside of in a few days. A pile of mail scattered across the floor when she opened it. Clearly, some of her classmates had the bright idea to stick every envelope and card under the door. She pick them up and looked at the names. It was obvious that whichever teacher had the bright idea to force her classmates to send 'get well soon' cards didn't really know that most of the people who sent them couldn't have cared less.

There was a card from Kyler, that was less than nice, to say the least. He promised her a rematch of their little dumpster diving rendevous in which she'd thrown him in and slammed the top down. He promised her that Cobra Kai was on its come up, and plenty of people there couldn't wait to get their hands on her.

She plugged in a paper shredder and shoved the letter in without a second thought.

There were others like that. Some kids who stood with Cobra Kai, and others who just didn't like her guts.