TWENTY FOUR , learning to fly

DYLAN WASN'T THE ONLY one to be in Miguel's hospital room when she arrived, and that's what made it so tense

DYLAN WASN'T THE ONLY one to be in Miguel's hospital room when she arrived, and that's what made it so tense. Johnny had flung the side table across the room, and it wheeled itself over to the door, narrowly missing Dylan. She'd ditched Demetri with a promise of talking to him again later the second she got the text from Miguel Diaz.

The fact that Dylan Oakes had gone from a dislike towards the All Valley champion to one of the closest pairs of friends she'd ever been with anyone except Demetri Alexopoulos was at times, worrying. Getting close to people was hard. Especially when they knew you and your secrets inside and out. Demetri knew nearly everything there was to know about Dylan. And she could never believe he'd go and do what Eli had done to them both at anytime. But he didn't know everything, and somehow, Miguel knew more about her past than her own best friend did.

Dylan's association with the Diaz boy had become a fireball of friendship. And if she wasn't careful, she'd get burned in the end.

"Ah, shit, sorry kid," He apologized. "Miguel's learning to walk again."

"He is? You are?" She looked over at him, a question in her gaze. His mouth opened and closed like a fish, as he tried to look cooler than he felt.

Miguel always felt like he had to prove himself when the impossibly cool girl came to visit. Being stuck in the hospital after a nasty, not to mention embarrassing fall if he had anything to say about it, was less than ideal for his reputation.

"I guess?" His voice came out all squeaky, and she watched him flinch at the sound of it. If only he knew how much she liked him anyways.

"Thats sounds like a question, Miggy," She commented with the easy-going grin that had become signature to her look. Dylan radiated calm and collected energy, and it was something she wore like a favorite t-shirt.

He slumped in the bed.

"Come on, Miguel. I shoved that across the room and almost killed our neighbor for a reason. Go get it," He demanded.

"I can't walk," He pressed Johnny. "Even with the surgery I might never be able—"

"Quiet!" Johnny yelled, scaring Dylan and cutting Miguel off. "'Never,' 'Can't,' Those are just meaningless words. It's time for you to get out of that bed and do something. You're not a kid anymore. The world isn't just gonna hand it to you. You want something, you're just gonna have to crawl across the floor, use your damn teeth if you have to," Johnny said horsely, trying to hype Miguel up while also tearing him down, in typical Lawrence fashion.

"You'll do whatever it takes. And I'm—who am I kidding," He said, rolling his eyes," We'll always be right here next to you." He pointed between himself and Dylan. "'Cause I'll always be your teacher, and she'll always be your best girl," He said firmly.