FIFTY FOUR , just like a woman

DYLAN HAD TAKEN TO THE TABLE of drinks in Johnny's apartment like moths to a flame, and she was never one to drink

DYLAN HAD TAKEN TO THE TABLE of drinks in Johnny's apartment like moths to a flame, and she was never one to drink. There was a deep set anxiety being around everyone crowded into the small apartment building that made her feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic. And she knew she could have left and gone home since she was just a few meagre feet away, but she knew she wouldn't. Miguel was there, and she didn't feel like leaving him and missing out just because of some nerves.

Iris wasn't there anymore to ground her, seeing as she'd left early to have a sisters night with Charlotte — not that Dylan could place any fault on her for that. Dylan was proud of them for their relationship, and proud of Iris for sticking by her younger sister who had come to terms with her sexuality. Iris couldn't relate to the things that Charlotte felt in that way, but she was wonderful at comforting and reassuring her.

Dylan turned to the drinks that the other teens had brought. It eased the pounding in her heart and the got rid of the need to step out and practice breathing exercises.

Only, she couldn't quite place how many sips of her various beverages she'd had. . .

"Try this, I call it, the 'Foxey Lady.'" Dylan gave Eli a blank look, and he pursed his lips. "Foul Play, 1978. Come on." She just took the cup and downed the red liquid, cringing because it was horrible. The burning in her throat made her shiver, and Eli patted her on the back while she coughed. "Maybe take a breather. I should have known not to copy drinks from movies," Eli mumbled to himself.

"I haven't had that many," She told him unconvincingly. Eli scrunched his nose in distaste. "I haven't!"

"Hey guys! This is crazy!" Miguel stumbled into the kitchen with rosy cheeks and a wide smile. "I can't believe all these people wanted to come!"

"Jesus, both of you are wasted," Eli mumbled, watching his male friend stride over to Dylan and pull her against his chest. She giggled, which was very unlike Dylan, when Miguel nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck. Eli tried not to gag at the display of affection. "Moon and I never acted like this—at least not in public."

"Your breath tickles!" Miguel hadn't realized how close he and his girlfriend were in that moment.

"Hell is wrong with the two of them? I've never seen Dylan act. . . normal before," Demetri whispered to Eli before grabbing a water bottle out of the fridge and motioning for the two of them to head back out to the action. Some random kid had set up the speakers and connected them to his phone, blasting bass boosted music that according to Demetri, might have enough power to make the complex crumble. "If this asshole doesn't change the song I might throw a punch."

Eli laughed at Demetri's bitter tone.

Any teenagers living in the other apartments had joined the commotion and luckily, any old people living nearby were far enough away and had shit hearing. It was the little things that God blessed humanity with, Eli thought.