FIFTY , cherry colored

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU can be so secure in your relationship," Iris complained

         "I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU can be so secure in your relationship," Iris complained. She was sprawled across the floor staring up at Dylan's David Bowie poster she had on the ceiling. Because obviously, Labyrinth was not as appreciated as it should have been according to Dylan. "I mean, you see Sam all the time because of the whole karate shit storm and she obviously still likes him. And Tory's still around even if she likes Robby." Iris was rambling without realizing it, ignoring Dylan's probing stare. "I just wish that I didn't feel so bad about myself obviously not being the right girl for Demetri. And obviously I know it's not his fault he doesn't like me that way, but—"

"You're the right girl for somebody, Iris." Dylan looked up at her ceiling, thinking of the right words to comfort her friend. "I'm secure in my relationship because I know that if a guy wants to leave, he will. And I don't think Miguel wants to." She shrugged with a small smile.

There were times when she didn't think she understood why Miguel stuck around, but he had, and that's all that mattered.

"You're right. He doesn't," Iris agreed. "I mean, I literally got to watch you guys realize how much you liked each other once I moved back to California." There was silence from both ends as both girls laid on the floor in a comfortable, somber silence. "I just feel so behind. I don't know, I guess I just want to experience love. I want to experience what you and Miguel have," Iris admitted to Dylan, which made her frown.

"I wouldn't call it love." Because how could she call it that? If she began to even think of it that way, she was sure she would be frightened.

"I know it's not right now, but you know if you stay together it's going to become love, right? At least, I think so. Everyone sees how you are with him." Dylan had become happier, and more at peace with the way that things were. She didn't need Miguel to know herself and understand her identity, but he still helped her. "Miguel looks at you every day like he's seeing you for the first time. And I just wish that someone looked at me that way."

It took Dylan a long time to realize that it was possible for someone to see her as more than just the girl on the outside, the occasional comedic relief, and 'just a friend.' The phase that Iris was still in.

"You need to have some fun this year. Stop sulking, because you're going to get to experience all of that," Dylan began, ignoring how Iris rolled her eyes. "You're pouting and it's annoying. Jesus Christ, you need to stop waiting around for Demetri to like you."

"I'm not!" She cried, outraged at the idea.

"You don't think you are, but you are." Dylan pointed a finger in warning. "It's okay to let yourself meet other people. Every time I go out with you you ignore anyone who shows any interest in you." Dylan recalled the times when Iris would abandon the gang and go off by herself. If a boy talked to her, she avoided them even if she liked the attention. Iris and Dylan were similar in lots of ways, but everyone was different.