TWENTY SIX , the aftermath

DEMETRI ALEXOPOULOS WAS inconsolable when Dylan came to see him in the hospital that night

       DEMETRI ALEXOPOULOS WAS inconsolable when Dylan came to see him in the hospital that night. After a night out of fun and rock music with Johnny and Miguel, she hadn't been able to check her phone until long after she'd left and gotten home. In fact, it had been Chris that had sent her a text, even though he'd had to jump through some hoops to get her number.

Demetri had gotten his arm broken by Eli, and Sam had been terrorized by Tory enough that she'd gotten a panic attack during a fight in the laser tag room. No one had been able to come to Demetri's aid when he was pinned down, with the Cobras surrounding him and Eli egging on the angered boy who'd decided to go through with it and break his former friend's arm. It was awful.

Luckily, it had been a clean break. Dylan stayed with him in the hospital until she was practically forced to leave and sit in the lobby while they went over some final checks. The issue was that he hadn't ever expected Eli to go that far. He expected to get punched, kicked and beaten around, but not to the point where he'd be spending weeks in a cast after an injury had enough to keep him screaming in pain when it happened.

The least she could do was sign his cast and draw a few characters from his favorite comics and video games with a sharpie. She also said he could have unlimited ice cream ( unless her boss was around ), which he'd already started to come around for.

It was how they ended up back at the dairy queen on her break, sitting outside with a round of chocolate ice cream cones, on her this time.

"Thanks, Dylan. You didn't have to do this for me," Demetri told her, putting on a smile that she knew wasn't completely real.

"Are you kidding? It would be dumb and rude of me not to. Besides, it's what friends do, alright? And if there's anyone that deserves this it's you," She said to him honestly. "Dink it and sink it." She tapped her ice cream against his. "Sorry I wasn't there yesterday."

"Not much would've changed even if you had been there. We just didn't have the strength." He shrugged his shoulders dejectedly. "We got in a few hits before the tables turned. Then . . . Eli really got to me, I guess."

"This was definitely my fault," Dylan blurted out. "If I hadn't egged him on so hard he wouldn't have come after you. I didn't think he'd really do anything."

The guilt was awful, eating her alive. She didn't exactly think that things would escalate to be as bad as they'd become, even though she should have expected it more than anyone. Eli wasn't playing around anymore. He hadn't been for a while.

"I still feel like he hesitated. It took all of his friends to convince him to do it," Demetri tried to convince her, noticing how much it had gotten to her. "Besides, it's not your fault. I've had issues with him just as much as you had. I guess it was inevitable that something like this would happen."