FIFTY THREE , the chozen one

"SO, YOU AND DYLAN BACK in the dojo? Game on, right?" Eli joked, checking in on Miguel

            "SO, YOU AND DYLAN BACK in the dojo? Game on, right?" Eli joked, checking in on Miguel. He scoffed, ignoring his friend and staring across the yard towards his girlfriend who was showing Anthony LaRusso how to throw a punch. "I mean, I've seen you guys. The perfect match!" Eli pretended to light a fake match with a fake lighter. Demetri hit him in the arm.

"I'm not here for romance right now guys. It's game on for karate and that's it," Miguel defended. "You guys are lucky. You don't have your girlfriends practicing alongside you."

"Be grateful that you get to stare at your girl for hours," Eli told his best friend in full confidence. "Some of us can only dream." He slapped Demetri on the back, making him choke on his sip of water.

"'Not here for romance.' That's not what it looked like thirty minutes ago," Demetri muttered, having walked in on the two of them kissing. "You were literally eating Dylan's face."

"I'll slap you." Miguel no longer turned red when his friends teased him. Besides, Eli was always teasing him.

Dylan watched with curiosity as Chozen made his way forward. Obviously, not everyone besides maybe Sam knew who the guy was. Dylan felt like she had a leg up considering they'd already met when he'd come through for her at Silver's dojo. She respected him.

"So, where are my dad and Johnny?" Sam asked, confused. Dylan hung towards the back, catching Chozen's watchful eye anyway. He gave her a polite nod which she returned. Yeah, she really respected him.

"Not here. Today, you train with me." He followed it up by yelling something in Japanese which no one knew how to respond to. "Attention." They stood there awkwardly when he continued in Japanese, before he translated in annoyance. "Bow. Cobra Kai gaining ground. We must prepare."

They followed him in excitement. Dylan knew that Chozen had a style of karate that she had never learned. He was more aggressive than Daniel, but more calculated than Johnny. Chozen had learned the perfect balance.

"This is gonna be bad-ass. Check out that throwing knife," Mitch said to Chris. Miguel and Dylan looked and saw what he pointed at.

"Now, we learn about Yanbaru Kuina."

"What is that? Like, some top secret karate move? Like a throat rip?" Chris asked innocently. He imitated what he thought it might be.

"Shut the fuck up, Chris," Dylan groaned.

"No. It is a bird," Chozen corrected with disgust. Dylan smiled to herself, liking how much of an attitude the older man had. "In English, called Okinawa rail. Endangered. Cannot fly."

"Hence, endangered." Demetri shook his head.

"So, these are the real eggs?" Miguel asked when Chozen unveiled a carton of eggs that seemed suspiciously store bought.