Twenty

She gasps and sits up abruptly. Her breathes come out heavy as if she'd been sprinting. She stands up looking around. It's completely pitch black.

"Hey." Yoru appears next to Y/N.

The girl simply looks at her blankly, "Oh, it's just you."

They stare in silence.

"Are you...are you not mad at me?"

"No."

Yoru's scoffs, "B-but I killed your parents! You're supposed to be mad, y-you're supposed to hate me!"

"I'm just...kinda over everything so..."

SLAP

The girl's head turns at the contact of the slap.

The demon grasps the girl's shoulders, "No! You have to snap out of it! Say you're mad at me! Say you hate me! Say...say you wish I was dead!"

Y/N doesn't even flinch despite the red hand mark on her face, "What's the point?"

"The point?!" Yoru slowly releases her, looking down, "The point is...ugh I hate to say it, but I can not be the primary host. I'm just not created for that. It took me a long time to realize that my decision's only create more problems. You're the one with the good judgment and you know how to take care of people...s-so you have to come back to your senses and take charge again!"

"Even if I did...we can't change the past, we can't change what we've done..."

The demon looks up, "Have I ever told you why I became a demon?"

"I thought you were born one."

"No I...well let me just show you."

Yoru waves her hand and a new setting appears around them. Moonlight cascades down the wooden buildings around them. Red paint is faintly illuminated by candles inside the largest building before them. Trees surround the area blocking sight of where they are.

"Where are we?"

"A Shinto Shrine in the mountains north of Kyoto."

"I don't understand."

"Generations ago, this is where I served as a Miko when I was a human."

"YOU'RE MAKING TOO MUCH NOISE GIRL!"

"I'm sorry I-"

The doors to the main building burst open. An older man shoves the girl and she falls off the porch onto the ground her broom landing next to her. She whimpers in pain, the dirt staining her white miko top.

"Is that-"

"No, that's not me. That's..." Yoru clears her throats, "That's my younger sister."

"You have a sister?"

"Had...she wasn't much younger than me. Very shy, kinda like you actually...this was the last night I saw her."

They watch as the young girl slowly stands. She looks to be a few years younger than Yoru, maybe twelve. Her hair falls into her eyes and she brushes it behind her ear revealing a bruise on her cheek.