Twenty Two

One Month Later...

Blood splatters on the ground.

"Please...I swear I don't know anything-UGH!"

A man is shoved against the building lining the alleyway. Y/n holds him hostage by gripping his arms.

"Don't lie. Your friends ratted you out. Now tell me where they are."

"Who?!"

Y/n slams the guy against the wall and he grunts in pain, "The time user. Where are they hiding?"

"I don't know-ARGH!"

Her red hands tighten on the man's shoulders and he yelps in pain.

ɮʀɛǟӄ ɦɨֆ ʄɨռɢɛʀֆ

"Break his fingers?"

The man's eyes widen in horror, "N-no please! I'll talk, I'll talk! Don't break my fingers!"

"Then talk."

The man sighs out in relief, "She's-"

"What do we have here?"

Y/n doesn't even hesitate to duck out of the way as a projectile zips above her. The object flips around and flies at her from behind. She catches it, inches from her face. She holds it up and her heart drops.

A crimson feather.

She turns around, "Hawks."

The number two hero raises a brow in surprise, "Those are some impressive reflexes, kid."

Y/n's eyes flicker to the fire escape latter to her right.

"Don't worry, I'm not here to hurt you."

"But you're here to arrest me."

He scrunches his face, "Well...sorta. The official warrant says 'take in for questioning.'"

"...so you're arresting me."

"...well I guess when you put it that way-hey!"

Y/n doesn't hesitate to run for it. She jumps up to the second floor fire escape, using the railing to launch herself to the roof. She climbs over the ledge and is about to sprint-

"Enough."

Y/n is frozen in her tracks. Inches from her face are three floating feathers, waiting to slice through her head.

Hawks stands opposite of her, leaning on the roof door, "Listen kid...all the pro-heroes in the city are looking for you. You're lucky I found you first...cause I'm not going to turn you in."

His feather slowly backs away from Y/n. Her eyes flicker to the nearest escape route again.

But she stays put, "Like the night you found me in that alley...why? Why do you keep helping me?"

"You have a secret admirer and I have to help you in order to gain their trust. So, whether you like it or not...I'm coming with you on your little escapade."