8

It has been 2 hours now that you were helping your mother to clean up and Oikawa was just watching and telling you how bored he was. You had no problem with cleaning up, as you were used to it, but being annoyed by Oikawa the whole time while doing so was a different story. Every once in a while you wondered if you would feel better by throwing a chair on Oikawa.
"Come on (y/n)-chaaan. I'm booored. Let's go somewhere."
"I have to finish first."
"But your brothers can take care of the rest too. They haven't done anything yet!"
"My brothers never help out."
"What? Why? Isn't that unfair? Don't your parents say anything?"
"Unfortunately they don't. They think that it's a women's job to clean up and they never asked my brothers to help them out. And whenever a job for a man comes up in the household, like repairing something, I have to assist my father and not my brothers. When I ask why they don't help, they simply reply that they are too incompetent."

Oikawa was watching you wipe the windows furiously.
"Why aren't you complaining? You're clearly very upset about it. If I were you, I wouldn't help them."
"I complained so much about it, that I don't even have the energy, nor the willpower left to do so anymore. Complaining about it only made things worse. And I feel extremely guilty when I refuse to help."
"I know they're your family, so please don't understand this the wrong way, but I don't think that they really appreciate what you're doing for them."
"You think I don't know that? I don't feel good about it, but I choose to act the way I will feel less shitty."

It was weird for you to talk so openly with anyone, because normally, you would avoid anyone from seeing your true feelings at all cost. You were afraid that people wouldn't like you that way or that they would judge you.

It frustrated Oikawa to see that you were not putting any value in yourself. Who made you believe that you were unworthy and unimportant?

You watched how Oikawa got up to grab a wiping cloth. I'll clean the other windows, but in return, we will go out to eat when we're finished!"

He was pointing at you with the cloth in his hand. You couldn't contain the smile that appeared on your face and you nodded in approval.
"Sure!"

On the way to the cafe, you were holding your phone against your ear, pretending to speak to someone on the phone. In reality, however, you were talking to Oikawa, who was next to you. That way you could avoid people to stare at you weirdly and nobody would think that you're crazy.

Oikawa was interrupted when one of your 'schoolfriends' saw you and greeted you.
"Heyy (y/n)-chan! Where are you going?"

Oikawa noticed how you changed your expression into a more cheerful one. He got used to your fake smiles and the way you acted when you were around others. He realized that the only time you weren't pretending was when you were around him. Upon realizing that, the warm feeling inside of him started to spread again and his stomach was tickling from inside. Is that what people meant when they said that they had butterflies in their stomach?

He felt the sudden urge to be very close to you, so he put his hand on top of your head. It seemed to take you off-guard, but you tried to play it off by normally continuing to talk to your friend.
"I just went out for a walk. What about you?"
"I'm going to meet my boyfriend! Ah- I should get going or else I'm going to be late! See you!"
"Alright, uhhm- good luck, i guess?"

You gave her a small wave and she walked away.
"What do you say if someone says that they're going to meet their boyfriend? Was my answer appropriate?"

Oikawa looked down at your deliberating expression and started laughing. His hand was still on your head and he started to pet it to reassure you.
"You could have said something like 'have fun!', but your answer was ok too. Though you should try to say it more confidently next time."

You pouted a little at that.
"That's easier said than done... What if I say something complety wrong and unfitting? I would embarrass myself even more!"

Oikawa came a little closer to you and brought his face close to you. He looked deeply into your eyes, which made you tense up.
"You shouldn't care what others think of you. You should concentrate more on being yourself. I personally really like your true self and I think it's a shame that you hide it from others."

You felt your heart beat faster and suddenly, you felt very warm inside. It was the very first time you heard someone say that to you. You started to feel doubt bubbling inside of you. Did he truly feel this way, or did he only say it to make you feel better? You looked deeply into his eyes as if the answer to it was written in there.
"Come on. Let's go."

With that, Oikawa broke the silence and grabbed your hand to drag you behind him.
"That's the wrong direction. We need to turn left."

Oikawa looked back at you and cleared his throat. Letting go of your hand, he held his hands in the right direction, signaling for you to go first.
"Well then, (y/n)-chan. Be so kind to lead us there."

You laughed at his behavior and the feeling of doubt inside of you vanished.