42

You and Oikawa were on your way to meet up with Hanamaki again. Apparently, Lisa had already left and according to Oikawa, Hanamaki didn't sound very well on the phone.

You finally had found Hanamaki. He was sitting on a bench and indeed, he didn't look too good. Seeing him like that made your stomach twist. You didn't want to see your friend like this.

"Hey, Hanamaki!" Oikawa called out his name and waved at him.

"Is everything alright? Why did Lisa leave already?" While asking, you observed Hanamaki's face carefully. And as you had thought, his expression gave you all the answers you needed.

"It turns out that Lisa didn't have any interest in me from the beginning. Apparently, she just wanted to know more about Oikawa. When she was done asking questions about him, she left and told me that she didn't think that it would work between us."

Hanamaki was trying to choke down the sadness that was bubbling up inside of him. Seeing him like that made you sad too. Your sadness turned into frustation because you wanted to help him but you just didn't know how. You wanted to consolate him, but again, you didn't know how. You sat down next to him and simply put your hand on his shoulder.
"Don't be sad. She's not worth it."

You couldn't think of anything else to say. Comforting people could be so hard sometimes. Every person reacts differently to different gestures and words. You were afraid to make things worse and it made you feel even more frustrated.

You looked up at Oikawa, hoping that he would find the right words. To your surprised, you could see guilt in Oikawa's expression.
"Hanamaki, I'm sorry. Because of me, you-"
"Shut up. It's not your fault. You couldn't have known either."
Hanamaki tried to give Oikawa a weak smile, in hopes to cheer him up a little.

"You're right. It's nobody's fault. The only one to blame is Lisa. But just because she tried to use you for her own benefits, it doesn't mean that you're worth any less. There will definitely come a day where someone will love you for the person you really are. So don't even waste time thinking about her. I can beat her up if you want to!"

Seeing your serious expression when talking about beating up Lisa made Hanamaki chuckle.
"No, don't worry. That's not necessary."

Seeing him chuckle brought a smile to your face too.
"Alright, as you wish. Oh, now that I think about it, I think I saw a shop that was selling desserts. Maybe they have profiteroles there too!"

Hanamaki stood up and turned around.
"Alright! What are we waiting for then? Let's go."

Oikawa reached out his hand for you and smiled.
"Let's lead the way then, (y/n)-chan."

It warmed his heart to see how deeply you cared for your friends.

After you were done eating your desserts, you all decided to go home. As usual, Oikawa told you that he would walk you home and you tried to tell him that it wasn't necessary. And just like everytime, he didn't listen to you.
"Why do you never want me to walk you home, (y/n)-chan? I'm starting to think that you don't like me!"

You furrowed your eyebrows.
"You know exactly that it's not true. I just don't want to burden you unnecessarily. I can walk by my own. Now it will take you more time to get back home."

"How many times do I have to tell you that I don't mind? I like to walk with you."

"If you say so..."
Your mind drifted back to Hanamaki and Lisa. Oh how you wished to punch her in the face. You just hoped that Hanamaki was doing well.

Oikawa noticed the look on your face and immediately knew what you were thinking about.
"You were right about Lisa. I should have realized a little bit sooner what she was aiming at."
Oikawa was too distracted by you to be able to pay more attention to Lisa. That, of course, he didn't say out loud. Usually, he was very perceptive and he would have noticed something like that right away.

"It's not your fault. She was playing her role really well. And it didn't take her long enough to confess Hanamaki the truth anyway. But I am wondering, what would've happened if we never would have gone to a 'double-date'? Would she still be at Hanamaki's side, asking him questions about you? How sick must someone be to do something like that? If she really had this much interest in you, why didn't she speak with you directly? Why would she break Hanamaki's heart? I think I'm gonna punch her."

"No, you're not going to punch her. We don't want you to get expelled from school, (y/n)-chan. You're an essential part of my school-life. Correction, you're an essential part of my life. I couldn't bear to go to school without you."

You furrowed your eyebrows.
"Yeah, sure. Talk about being dramatic. We only have been going to school together for a few months now. How could I be an essential part of your life? Or, let me ask you a different question, how were you going to school before you had met me then?"

The seriousness in Oikawa's eyes confused you.
"I don't remember."

You cleared your throat.
"Probably by making sure that you got on Iwaizumi's nerves all the time. I'm seriously impressed by how he didn't have a single mental breakdown by now."

"As if I have to try. He gets angry for literally anything I do!"

"Mhhmm. We both now that's not true."