37

Oikawa and you were taking a different way back home than usually. Just when you were about to turn the corner, someone bumped into, making you stumble backwards. Just before you could hit the ground, Oikawa caught you. The person you had bumped into wasn't as lucky and he fell on the ground.
The boy had orange hair and next to him stood a tall black haired guy with a serious expression.
"Idiot! Watch where you're going!" The black haired guy yelled at the poor guy on the ground.

"No, it's alright! I'm sorry I should have paid more attention too!" When they finally looked at you, they froze.

You didn't understand why they were so shocked. Then you realized that they weren't looking at you, but at Oikawa. Oikawa was looking at the black haired guy with an arrogant look. You could tell that he was annoyed.
"Well, if it isn't Tobio-chan."

Upon hearing his name, the poor guy named Tobio stiffened up even further.
Oikawa's gaze shifted to the orange haired boy who was still on the ground.
"And you! Use your eyes next time! You could have hurt her!"

Annoyed at Oikawa's mean attitude towards the poor guys, you shot him a glare. You moved away from Oikawa's grip and approached the boy on the ground. You stretched out your hand and smiled at him apologetically.
"I'm sorry! It was my fault. Don't listen to the douche bag. Are you okay?"

The boy got even more nervous and hesitantly took your hand. You could barely understand him due to all the stuttering.
"Y-Yes ma'am! I-I'm fine! Thank you! I'm terribly sorry too!"
"Just call me (y/n)."
"N-Nice to meet you! My name is Hinata Shoyo! And this guy who looks like a scarecrow is Tobio Kageyama."

Kageyama shot Hinata an angered look, but decided to let the small comment slide due to your presence.
"Nice to meet you!"

Kageyama's gaze once again shifted to Oikawa who was looking at him in a way you didn't like. What was his problem?
"I heard that Karasuno will be taking part in the volleyball tournament. I hope you're ready to get crushed." Oikawa's intense gaze was able to intimidate the two boys.

You furrowed you eyebrows at his behavior and hit him on his arm. "Stop that. You're being a jerk."
Oikawa held his arm where you had hit him and avoided looking at you with a small pout.

You could hear Hinata ask Kageyama a question.
"Is that the grand kings girlfriend?"
"How am I supposed to know!?"

Both you and Oikawa froze for a moment.
"No he's not my boyfriend. But I have heard that Karasuno will have a practice match against Aoba Johsai next week. I am looking forward to it."
"Oh, you will be watching?"

You nodded with a small smile. "Yeah, after all, I am Aoba Johsai's manager."

Kageyama seemed surprised. "You're Aoba Johsai's manager?"
You nodded. "Mmhhmm."

Oikawa, who was still standing behind you, shot them both a threatening glare.
"What are you two weirdos doing here anyway? Isn't your school farther away?"
"We, uhm, kinda got lost."

Oikawa let out a laugh and took your hand. He turned around and dragged you with him.
"Good luck on finding your way back. I'll see you on the practice match."

You stopped him from moving away by pulling on your hand that was held by his. You turned around, so you could face the two first class students.
"We'll help you find your way back."

Oikawa turned around, looking at you with annoyance, because the last thing he wanted was to spent time with his rivals. Ignoring his silent pleas, you dragged him with you.
"Thank you, (y/n)-san!"

You once again smiled at them softly. "No problem."

When you arrived at Karasuno, you said goodbye to the boys and continued to walk away with Oikawa again.
"Why were you so mean to them? Kageyama seems to admire you a lot!"
Oikawa looked annoyed once again at the mention of Kageyama's name.
"I wasn't mean. I just told them that Aoba Johsai would win. After all, they're our rivals."

You didn't look convinced.
"Yeah, no. If I am not mistaken, you seem to have a special kind of rivalry going on between you and Kageyama. In fact, and now, please don't take this offensively, your words from before, when you told him that you would win, didn't sound like a promise, but a wish. Almost as if you're doubting yourself and trying to convince yourself that you could do it."

Oikawa's eyes widened. He shouldn't be surprised that you had figured him out so easily. He may notice every small detail about you, but so did you figure him out just as easily. He could see the concern in your eyes, almost as if you regretted saying that.
"I'm sorry. It's not my place to-"

Oikawa put a hand on top of your head.
"No, it's fine. You're right. I worked very hard to be able to surpass him and another volleyball player called Ushijima. I want to prove myself that I am able to beat them if I just try hard enough. I don't want to accept defeat without having done everything I could. They may be natural talents and don't have to work as hard as I do, but that doesn't mean I will give up! But honestly, sometimes I think that I will never be able to surpass them and that my efforts will all be in vein."

Oikawa's honesty caught you off guard. You were glad that he opened up to you, but at the same time you were worried about him.
"In this world, there will always be someone who's better than you. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt your abilities one bit and I am absolutely sure that you'll surpass them both someday. However, you can't beat yourself up because you don't feel like you're good enough. Even if you surpass them, you will find another person who's better than you and then again, you will feel the need to surpass that person. Some might say that it's crazy and a waste of time, but I admire you for it. A lot. But at the same time I want to remind you that you will always be enough. You are perfect the way you are and believe it or not, life is not always about volleyball and winning."

Oikawa smiled and softened his gaze.
"Yeah, you're right. Life is more than just about volleyball." He didn't take his eyes off of you for a second when he had said that. Volleyball was the only thing he ever thought of. That is until he met you. Now, he couldn't stop thinking of you and he didn't really mind.

"Now, because I am such a nice person, I'll buy you some milk bread." You tried to lift up his mood and it seemed work.