Chapter 24

News had reached Tori about the attack on Deika City. By the sound of it, she had a bad feeling she knew the culprit.

"The buildings just crumpled." Medusa explained for the fourth time during lunch. She dramatically stood on the bench as Eri and Tori listened. She immediately sat down when a teacher looked at her. "They said it was an earthquake but to me it seemed unnatural. I think you have an idea what I mean Tori." Medusa had also caught on.

"Did they cover it up then, or do they just not know?" Tori wondered.

"Well they must know if kids like us figured it out." Medusa pointed out. "Right. Quite the detective you are, huh Medusa?" Tori complimented. Medusa blushed. "I've actually want to be a detective like my mom when I grow up." She explained. "Anyways, how is it living with Hawks again?" Medusa asked. Earlier in the day Medusa had gave Tori a hard time about Friday night. She was relatively calm compared to how she was at the beginning of the day.

"Good. We went grocery shopping yesterday." Tori smiled "How is that a big deal?"

"Mister Hawks only fed Tori chicken last time she stayed there." Eri explained to Medusa. Tori shuddered at the memory. "We made a compromise where we would have as much chicken he wanted during the weekends." Tori sighed.

"Oh. I would think he would stay away from bird." Medusa thought out loud. Tori shrugged and continued to eat her rice, her thoughts lingering on the news on Deika city.

~

Hawks had arranged it so he could get off earlier to greet Tori when Mr. Aizawa would drop her off.

"Tori~!" Hawks smiled and ran to get a hug. Tori stopped before she accidentally walked into his arms. She swore she saw flowers and sparkles around him, his behavior continued to remind her of a puppy.

"How long have you been waiting for me?" Tori said as she put a hand on his head without thinking. His hair was soft and so Tori ruffled it a bit before putting her hand behind her back. "Sorry." She muttered.

"Am I a dog all of a sudden? Don't worry, I didn't wait too long." He said lightheartedly as he pat her head in return. "I got a call earlier today. Come on, sit down for a sec." Hawks guided Tori to the couch. "Sorry, I just felt more comfy sitting down. I'd like to talk to you about therapy, you have your first session tomarrow. Do you feel nervous or anything?" He asked. Tori looked down in thought.

"I'm not sure. I don't know really know what to expect. Only time I heard about therapy is when everyone tells each other to go to it. Do you know what it's like?" Tori asked. Hawks was caught off guard but then thought a bit for his answer. "Hmm. Yeah I go to therapy monthly. It's good, makes me feel relieved and light. Although it can be hard the first couple sessions. They will probably ask you tough questions but it's to help them get a better grasp of what is going on through that head of yours." Hawks gave Tori a playful tap to her forehead. His expression wasn't quite as energetic and smiley as usual. His smile was small and gentle while his eyes... did they look at her with pity or genuine comfort? Tori found it hard to decipher.

"I am I little nervous I guess." She admitted. "But talking to new grown-ups is always scary at first, don't you think so too Mr. Hawks?" Tori gave a reassuring smile. At first Hawks was a bit confused but let his concern go for the moment. "That's good to here I suppo- oh!" Hawks tensed as Tori suddenly hugged him. "Thanks for your concern. You know, you've been really nice even though you were the one that took me from Shigaraki."

Dammit Tori, if only you would stop thinking like that... He is a bad person even if he was nice to you, and who knows the real reason why he was nice to you. Hawks clenched his teeth in worried thought.

"I'm sorry you see it that way, but it was only for your sake." Hawks got up suddenly. "Excuse me but I'm going to go change and then cook dinner."

The rest of the evening was quiet. Tori turned in early, followed by Hawks who went to bed a few hours later.

~

Hawks woke up suddenly to movement in his room. On instinct, he sent a couple feathers to find the source.

"Hana? What are you doing?" Hawks was shocked when the lights flipped on to reveal Tori.

Without a word, Tori handed Hawks the old flipphone Dabi had gave him to keep in touch with the Lueage.

"Tori Hana, how did you find this?" He asked sternly. He wasn't trying to be aggressive but he let some of his frustration slip into his voice. Tori didn't know what to do except break down into tears. She hid her face in shame, not wanting to look the man in the eyes.

"You were going to run away again, weren't you?" Hawk's tone and face softened. "Tori, I can't let you do that." "WHY?!" She snapped before sobbing even more. She cried so hard she gripped her throat in pain.

Hawks frowned and grabbed her wrists and gently lowered them. "Breath." Tori listened and drew in a long breath before slowly letting it out. "I can't let you live with villains no matter how good they may be. As long as you are with them you are in danger." He tried reasoning with the girl, but she was still too stubborn. "I'd rather be in danger and happy than safe but lonely." Tori pouted in a raspy, weak voice.

"I want to find a way to make you happy, I really do but Shigaraki can not be your only source of happiness. Plus you have friends and me, Don't you? You're not lonely." Hawks was starting to get tired of the repetitive arguments, but the girl just didn't give up. "You don't know anything! You're a hero, of course you would look down on villains!" Tori's face was heated with rage. She swiftly grabbed the phone back and ran out of the room.

"Hana!" Hawks yelled. He sent some feathers to retrieve her. As Tori kicked and punched air he opened the door to her room. He grabbed her arm and shoved her inside. He paused, right before he slammed the door, and looked into her eyes.

She was terrified.

What was he doing? He looked in the mirror on the door and stumbled to the ground.

Was that... his dad?

No, it was himself.

"I- I'm-" Hawks didn't know what to say, why was he acting like this? Why was he trying to lock her in the room? Tori got up and ran passed Hawks, who was too in shock to go after her. Should he? "Tori, wait! I'm sorry!" Hawks called after the girl but she was already out the door.

~

Tori couldn't breath, between the running, the crying, and the cold air her throat tightened. She eventually fell into the grass of some small park. She didn't know where she was, but she took the time to catch her breath before pulling out the phone. She went to the only contact that was in it and pressed call.It was answered immediately.

"What is it asswhole it's late and I'm the one that calls you unless I tell you otherwise." Dabi's voice was tired but threatening, like how he made it sound when he gave her to Hawks. Tori bit her lip, there was no time to hold grudges.

"P-please take me h-home." Her lip quiverred and she started to tear up again. "Tori? What's going on, are you all right?" Dabi's voice suddenly softened, making her feel relieved he didn't reject her. "He tried locking me in a room. H-he shoved me in it- a-and he looked so scary." Tori broke down crying. Dabi was silent.

"I'm on my way, I have your location thanks to the GPS we put into the phone, just hang in there and do your best to hide until then. Okay, sweety? I'm going to hang up now, I'll see you in about twenty minutes." He hung up and Tori looked around for a place to hide, settling on a tunnel in the playground.

Tori quickly realized how cold it was, her hands were nearly numb with the cold. She did her best to warm up and kept a watch out for the hero even though he was probably flying to find her she was safe under something.

Shigaraki was right: heros were not a great as they make themselves look.

~Thanks for reading!~