Chapter 4

(Y/n): Your name

Your POV

"So, where were the guys from?" I ask, fiddling with my shirt hem. "For the job interview, I mean."

My mom peers out the rearview mirror to make sure no one's too close to us. "Remember when I said I was getting a teaching job here?"

"Yeah."

"They were from the school."

"Wait," I say. "You moved us out here before you even knew if you got the job or not?"

"Well..."

"Mom!" I scream. "What happens if you don't get the job?"

"Honey," my mom says. "I think I can get the job. I have a teaching license and a lot of knowledge about robotics."

"You think?" I spat. "You're basing this on a maybe?!"

"Honey, the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology will gladly let me teach there."

"I can't believe you moved us out here, away from any friends, before you even got the job." I shake my head.

"Well, we can argue about this later," Mom says. "We're here." I look out of the window and groan. Great. I'm back at school.

I step out of the car and tap my foot, waiting for my mom to get out of the car. When she finally does, I turn on my heels and stomp to the school.

----------

The "event" my mom was talking about is turning out to be a dance with very few people at it. Maybe eighty at the most, with a school of several hundreds.

I station myself in the corner of the gym, where the dance is, after my mom leaves. I look around to see if I notice anyone.

Marsha, a girl in my science class, a boy named George from my math class, and Hiro, who is with his brother, Tadashi. He must be a chaperone.

I don't go out into the middle of the gym, which is where everyone is dancing, for fear of someone talking to me. I don't look up from looking at my shoes until I hear a voice next to me.

"Kinda isolating yourself, aren't cha?" I look up and see Tadashi.

"I like it," I say.

"Well, it's not healthy to just stand here. You're not making friends."

"Well, I'm gonna move in a year or so, so why bother?" I kick the floor shyly.

"Why do you say that?" Tadashi looks over at his brother while talking to me.

"Well, my mom can't really keep a job." Tadashi and I both laugh a little. I suck in a breath before I continue. "And my dad's kinda in jail...so..."

"Oh," Tadashi says. "I'm sorry."

"Nah, it's okay," I say. "I never liked him anyway so..." I shake my head and smile.

Tadashi nods slightly. In the awkward silence, I kick the floor with my shoes.

"Tadashi, no one's here!" Tadashi and I both look to our right and see Hiro. "I want to go home!"

"Okay, ya big baby." Tadashi turns to me and rolls his eyes. "I guess I'm leaving. Bye, (Y/n)."

"Bye." I wave as Tadashi and Hiro walk out of the gym.

//////////

A/n: Thanks for reading!

Okay, so this story now has five parts total. And it's almost at 1K reads already! You guys are seriously the best! Love you guys!

Peace out! ✌️💕